OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

End of my quest for the Big 10

Started by barry, January 18, 2014, 12:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

We have watched this buck for 3 years and this year he was on top of my hit list. I had my chance at him during bow season and I blew the shot. We couldn't find my arrow and only found a little blood. My only thought was that I had crippled him and lost him forever. I was sick for a week, then he showed back up on our trailcam, what a relief! Good thing was I had shot high and only grazed his back. Bad thing was he went nocturnal with only one trailcam sighting in daylight hours over the next 8 weeks.
Every day during that 8 week span this buck haunted me and each time I sat in a blind I thought about him. Early muzzleloader and rifle season came and went with the buck continuing to be a no-show. I was passing on lesser bucks with hope that one evening he would show up.
2nd day of late muzzleloader season I'm setting in a blind nearly ¾ of a mile from where we had been getting trailcam pics of this deer. Lo and behold at 5:15 he and 2 other bucks step into the foodplot. Smoke filled the air, he went down and FINALLY I was able to put my hands on him.
Yes, there are bigger bucks out there and he had broken off the G-4 on his left side but I had a special connection with this deer and I am very proud to have taken such a fine animal. At the same time I'm kinda sad that he will no longer show up on our trailcam pics. He will however have a special spot in my trophy room where I will be able see him each and every day.

Here he is during the summer at a mineral lick.

This is one of my favorite pics of him. I passed the 9 pt in the background several times and he should be a fine deer next year.

One of the last trail cam pics we got of him

You can see where my Muzzy cut across his back.

He had all but healed up before that fateful day in late muzzleloader season.

Finally!

Drthorn

congrats...cool history with the pics.

redarrow

Congrats Barry. I have never had the pleasure of hunting a specific buck but I understand the twinge of regret. Sure he left a bunch of his offspring to fill the void with. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Rokhal07

Congrats. Nice story and pics of a super buck.

alloutdoors

Congrats Barry, that's a heck of a buck!

kevin2

Sweet deer. Glad to see you landed him

We had a 13 pointer we couldn't take in early Oct, both my son and I had a chance at him inside 24 hours, my son couldn't get the shot off with him standing broadside at 7 yards (that will likely haunt him for decades). I passed on numerous deer too, hoping to bag him. Hunted another 35 days, but couldn't get him to show. Nobody on the farm we hunt took him, 1000 acres, but we don't know the neighbors to good & aren't sure if he made it. Hopefully he'll show up on trailcams come spring.

COngrats!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

slamman

great deer, great pictures and a great story behind all of it congrats.   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

chatterbox

Awesome Barry!
I loved the story. I felt like I was right there with you, and I am glad your quest to harvest him is over!
Well done! :icon_thumright:

scoot12

Wow, congrats Barry on a great buck and story.  Scoot

Hognutz

Way to go, Barry, you handsome devil, you.. Great story and pics. He is a beautiful creature..

Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

AUDoubleBeard

VA_Birdhunter

Awesome buck!! I don't have the want to deer hunt anymore and gave it up many yrs ago...but I love to see picks of big bucks....and he's a dandy!!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

beagler

Never Misses

Flydown

That's awesome Barry! Congratulations on a Stud buck!!