Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Winchester Longbeards, 1125 fps ? Is that right?

Started by owlhoot, January 18, 2014, 09:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 19, 2014, 08:47:28 PM
...but  this ...... has to be without a doubt the most controversial add campaign for turkey ammunition EVER -  the other ammo companies may follow suit , with all the money being thrown into TV shows and commercials it could stand a good chance of having a detrimental effect on turkeys , via crippling etc....Many turkey hunters feel the same way , and have strong reservations with the marketing

:agreed:

Really surprised at the claims being made on the Winchester ammo web site, under the "performance" tab for this load, where they display a 70 yard pattern target.  Though they have a disclaimer, to the effect of "...the decision for maximum range is the hunter's decision..." posting a 70 yard pattern certainly could lead one to believe that this lead load was designed to deliver at 70 yards.  Very irresponsible marketing in my opinion.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

rempumpman

Hope that winchester does well with these new shells and that whoever decides to use them will have great success; as for me, I will stick with what has worked for me for many years; Remington 2 3/4 inch magnum number 5's.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

Gooserbat

Got to take barrel length into consideration as well longer barrels will yield a higher velocity and I would think that Winchester would use a longer barrel to test their speeds.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

Quote from: paboxcall on January 19, 2014, 09:14:54 PM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 19, 2014, 08:47:28 PM
...but  this ...... has to be without a doubt the most controversial add campaign for turkey ammunition EVER -  the other ammo companies may follow suit , with all the money being thrown into TV shows and commercials it could stand a good chance of having a detrimental effect on turkeys , via crippling etc....Many turkey hunters feel the same way , and have strong reservations with the marketing

:agreed:

Really surprised at the claims being made on the Winchester ammo web site, under the "performance" tab for this load, where they display a 70 yard pattern target.  Though they have a disclaimer, to the effect of "...the decision for maximum range is the hunter's decision..." posting a 70 yard pattern certainly could lead one to believe that this lead load was designed to deliver at 70 yards.  Very irresponsible marketing in my opinion.

It's all marketing to make us part with our cash!  As I posted in another thread, 40 yards is where I try to limit my shots, whether I have my 835 with Winchester XXs or my 870 with nevi 6s. 

It seems like a great load and if it helps someone kill a turkey at a responsible distance, I'm all for it!  I think the above two posts really make a good point, but it's not all Winchester!  Take a look at this Mag Blend Commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZu_Iu54HBw

Now, if you pay attention toward the middle of the commercial it makes it seem like you can kill turkeys out to 75 yard!  Hevi or not, that's a bit extreme!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

paboxcall

Quote from: jblackburn on January 21, 2014, 12:50:16 PM
...it makes it seem like you can kill turkeys out to 75 yard!  Hevi or not, that's a bit extreme!

I agree 100%.  I shoot HTL, 40 yards is my maximum too, and my set up preference is to have a bird show up on the scene between 20-30 yards.  Nice to know through patterning my gun/choke/shell combo that the HTL will deliver a still-cooking, devastating pattern at 40 yards, which is why I shoot it instead of lead.  Just my personal choice.  When I eventually burn through my stash of straight 7s, I might look to a lead load similar to this one.  Or not... :z-guntootsmiley:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 21, 2014, 10:46:48 AM
Got to take barrel length into consideration as well longer barrels will yield a higher velocity and I would think that Winchester would use a longer barrel to test their speeds.

30" barrel at 3'  from the muzzle at 68 degrees at an altitude of 495'. I'm not sure about the humidity level, probably 50% but it should be constant in the tunnel.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

cluck

I'll put my two cents worth in. Unless your a navy seal trained person, don't try beyond the forty yard guess mark. I'am waiting for the lady to call and tell me that my new 11-87 20 gauge just came through the door! The twelve got to heavy just like the ten did. Why don't we go back to old school and learn to call and sit a little longer and wait? Last year I let a fifty yarder walk away. On the last week I missed a big gobbler at ten short yards when I would not wait that last five minutes after we hammered each other for almost an hour. I would never even dream of shooting at one at seventy yards nor let my sons or grandsons do it. I do like the idea of it being much easery to find a good choke and shell that throws a good pattern these days. Next thing you know we'll be talking cross currents and elevaton clicks, tempature and who knows what else. maybe mega hertz. Maybe we just need to make better choices even when turkey huntin. Go have fun and hoot and holler when you get'em. Hope I didn't make anybody mad.    cluck

allaboutshooting

Quote from: cluck on January 25, 2014, 05:12:46 PM
I'll put my two cents worth in. Unless your a navy seal trained person, don't try beyond the forty yard guess mark. I'am waiting for the lady to call and tell me that my new 11-87 20 gauge just came through the door! The twelve got to heavy just like the ten did. Why don't we go back to old school and learn to call and sit a little longer and wait? Last year I let a fifty yarder walk away. On the last week I missed a big gobbler at ten short yards when I would not wait that last five minutes after we hammered each other for almost an hour. I would never even dream of shooting at one at seventy yards nor let my sons or grandsons do it. I do like the idea of it being much easery to find a good choke and shell that throws a good pattern these days. Next thing you know we'll be talking cross currents and elevaton clicks, tempature and who knows what else. maybe mega hertz. Maybe we just need to make better choices even when turkey huntin. Go have fun and hoot and holler when you get'em. Hope I didn't make anybody mad.    cluck

Very well said.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gobblers_nightmare

I've killed birds from 20 feet to forty yards, and I have no interest in shooting more than forty yards.  What I am interested in is more shot on target, and less flyers to damage meat.  I'm hoping that this new buffering system accomplishes that.  I've picked up a couple of boxes Longbeard #5's, and intend to run them and the Federals I've been shooting through a few different chokes to see how they compare.  I'm also thinking of picking up a Trulock tube, and emailed them to ask about their tests with the new shells.  I'm shooting an 11-87 3", anybody on here with any experience with this combo yet?
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

Thomas6689

I figure people who are going to take shots at 60yds have been doing it way before the longbeards came out and they just think this shell will better the odds and it will, but it's still not a good idea.  Yeah they will kill some of them at 60 but it would be jus as easy to wound them. Bottom line people who take long shots will always take Long shot no matter what shell is in the gun.

d.winsor

I just patterned my SX3 .665 choke 40 yards with winchester long beards #5 shot.  the pattern was so tight that I could miss a turkey at 40 yards, I believe they could kill a bird a lot farther.  I will not use long beards because 40 yards is enough for me.  I am going to use winchester supreme HV #5 shot.  They have a little larger pattern than LB.  If birds do get in close on me at least I'll have a better chance there also.

BandedSpur

Quote from: d.winsor on March 12, 2014, 10:16:14 PM
I just patterned my SX3 .665 choke 40 yards with winchester long beards #5 shot.  the pattern was so tight that I could miss a turkey at 40 yards, I believe they could kill a bird a lot farther.  I will not use long beards because 40 yards is enough for me.  I am going to use winchester supreme HV #5 shot.  They have a little larger pattern than LB.  If birds do get in close on me at least I'll have a better chance there also.

I'm with you on the tight patterns. Not going to find many people to agree with you this year; the train is warmed up and leaving the station. But I think you will see some folks rethink their love affair for LBs after this season. There will be a lot of turkeys missed at 20-30 yds this year with these shells, particularly with folks that are not using optics of some sort. For my money, inside 40 yds, the Turkey Thugs or any of the other Winch shells throw a more forgiving pattern that is still solid at 40 yds.

Borden811

Based on what Im seeing, these shells don't don't pattern any tighter then any other lead shell at 10, 15, 20, 30 yards. They just hold their pattern better, and are tighter at 40. Tighter at 40 doesn't necessarliy equate to tighter at close range. Shoot a few at close range compared to your normal shell at the same range. I bet you'll be surprised how little difference there is.

Longshanks

Pattern my guns to have an effective pattern at 40. Regardless of the shell HTL, Lead. I don't change the way I hunt. 40 and under is most productive regardless of gun/shell/combo.

ShortSpurs

Killing results is what we're after. If the shell kills to your wishes, then so be it.

An 870SM I shot recently will place all pellets (save 10-15) from the 3.5" #5 LB shell in a 12" circle at 40 yards. Not bad.

Consistent results and dead birds ... that's what we want   :funnyturkey:!