Main Menu

Thanks Outdoor Life magazine

Started by Shellwaster, January 15, 2014, 06:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drthorn

chatterbox

Quote from: jakesdad on January 17, 2014, 02:39:13 PM
My sons JAKES magazine came today and the entire back cover ad was:

"66 YDS"....."I shot this turkey at 66 yds with
                                      the new Winchester LONG BEARD blah,blah,blah,etc"-Mark Drury

Real nice.Now every kid and/or adult is gonna think this can be them.
I agree. I wonder how much money it takes for a man to sell his soul.
Drury knows better.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: chatterbox on January 18, 2014, 08:00:25 AM
Quote from: jakesdad on January 17, 2014, 02:39:13 PM
My sons JAKES magazine came today and the entire back cover ad was:

"66 YDS"....."I shot this turkey at 66 yds with
                                      the new Winchester LONG BEARD blah,blah,blah,etc"-Mark Drury

Real nice.Now every kid and/or adult is gonna think this can be them.
I agree. I wonder how much money it takes for a man to sell his soul.
Drury knows better.

I know it takes about $7,000 -20,000for someone to sell a page in a small publication like that to a advertiser - I could care less about what some fabricated tv persona is doing with themselves or their so called pro-endorsements - but this time ...... This went quite a bit further - to the eyes of the general public they will eat this stuff up bait, line and sinker ..... The product will sell with its outlandish advertisement campaign that will surely sell many thousands of cases of this overrated product to all market segments of the turkey hunting market

What will take place in the future ? Will the product continue to have repeat purchases ? Will it gain a product notoriety ? Will the other ammo companies answer back with similar or repackaged products with similar outlandish and irresponsible add campaigns ? My best prediction is that Winchester will continue to sell this for at least 5 + years , and push it hard , just like they are currently doing with their hex shot waterfowl loads , they made a initial investment by paying a so called celebrity to endorse it , paid for TV time on the hunting shows, bribed all the magazines to have their shooting editors do favorable reviews of the product .... Oh by the way there so happens to be a full page ad in said publication - and it looks like they bullied or bought their way into many other publications , I'm sure some of editors had their reservations on the over the top product performance claims , let's hope this isn't a repeat event in the future

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

chatterbox

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I will boycott that shell.
I think what Winchester and their marketing people are doing is a crime, and paying off TV personalities who have no problem endorsing long range shooting with lead while getting their pockets lined by Winchester, are just as guilty as Winchester itself.
Winchester had an awesome shell in their extended range, and are now using smoke and mirrors to try to get the public to believe they have magically recreated the wheel with a lead load.
You can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day, you still have a pig.

jakesdad

Its stuff like this that makes me sometimes(at the ripe old age of 42)consider myself an "old timer".EVERYTHING in the world(not just the outdoor industry)has to be latest and greatest to work.Yes I do shot Hevi-shot in my 20 sometimes.Would not pout or through a fit or feel like less of a hunter if lead was all I had and could never shoot a turkey over 30-35 yds.

I agree to a point technology is a fine thing,but its gotten to the point now of just plain irresponsibility and flat out ridicoulous.Nobody wants to have to work to acheive success anymore.Heaven forbid you call a turkey and he hangs up at 50 yds and ya have to hunt him again.Instead of trying to improve our skill we instead want to blast his waddles at 60+ yds.Bowhunting is a prime example of this very thing.Guy with the fastest bow and can part a gnats hair at 75 yds is the "guru".Thats why I bought a recurve and wont shoot past 20,I want to be part of the hunt,not an distanced observer.

I for one feel sorry for the future participants of hunting if this is how the trend continues.Hunting is supposed to be up close and personal,not a shooting match.And while I understand companies need to make $$ to stay afloat,the crossing of the ethics line has gotten way out of hand.Will I begrudge anyone for building a 50 yd turkey gun that is PROVEN to be ethical in shot pattern and killing power....NO.But we as I collective group,IMO,need to get back to the basics of what makes this a great sport,not technology ourselves to death.

I for one would like to see a company like Winchester reintroduce a "out dated" tried and true LEAD turkey load that says "Same old lead,same old dead" right on the box, as opposed to what they come up with now days and the outrageous claims they make.

Sorry for the rant,just my .02 :character0029:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

bigbird

Leave it to the media to totally F up something! What's that say about there own childish ethics? Who in their right mind would try that? I don't know how much KE it takes to break a gobblers neck but doubt that a #6 pellet would have it at 80 yards like terry and mark talk about on tv!

Kylongspur88

I was going to buy a box just to test. I shoot lead a lot of the time, but I don't think I'm going to buy a box and support this crap.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on January 18, 2014, 10:10:32 PM
I was going to buy a box just to test. I shoot lead a lot of the time, but I don't think I'm going to buy a box and support this crap.

X-2
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."