Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I want to add one nice decoy, which would be best?

Started by kevin2, January 15, 2014, 01:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I have a couple inflateable decoys, and one Funky Chicken decoy. I want to add one nice decoy for this spring. I was considering a DSD decoy, but can't figure out what one to add. Which would be best & why?
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Hoosier2

I just bought a dsd upright hen and wow! You won't be disappointed. I thought it like this I can use the hen with the stake for an upright hen or lay it down and make it a submissive hen. So basically a 2-1 decoy. I bought mine at Mack's prairie wing for 119.99. There's a coupon code for 15 off 100 and u get free shipping over 125. I bought my dsd and 3 hooks mouth calls and a David halloran to mouth call for 128. It was at my door in 4 days!! Best value you will ever find basically like getting 4 calls free with your decoy!

Bill

chatterbox

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

kevin2

I'm for sure getting a DSD decoy, but I don't know which one of his to get. Submissive Hen, Feeding Hen, Upright Hen, Jake, or Strutter?

What single decoy gives me the best odds of bagging a Tom opening day?

bigbird

I've got the feeding hen and jake, worked great with the posture the jake has! Not a strutter decoy fan, but be careful those DSD's look so realistic you better use them wisely. No public ground or hope there aren't any others huntin the same farm. I was nervous every time I used mine last season, worried a trespasser might get confused! Good luck

Gamblinman

Quote from: kevin2 on January 15, 2014, 08:01:33 AM
I'm for sure getting a DSD decoy, but I don't know which one of his to get. Submissive Hen, Feeding Hen, Upright Hen, Jake, or Strutter?

I would start with the upright hen, followed by the jake, followed by the feeding hen.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

MKMGOBL

I've got the original upright hen & when I've put her out, I've had great success. My wife picked me up a new upright hen (A.C.E Technology) a month ago & I ordered up a feeding hen & Jake that are on the way. I've heard a lot of great things about how effective the DSD Jake is but I won't know until this spring when I get to put him out.

I personally think the feeding hen would better than the upright because it seems more relaxed. But again, I don't know because I haven't ever used her. I think no matter which decoy you go with, if it's a DSD...you'll be impressed.
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

budtripp

I would start with a DSD upright hen. As mentioned before its basically a 2 in 1 decoy. Then I'd go for the jake

alloutdoors

DSD Jake.

Full stop, end of story.

I'm convinced you could use the jake next to a brown trash bag and probably not lose much effectiveness.

kevin2

I'm leaning towards a Jake...

Quote from: alloutdoors on January 15, 2014, 11:19:22 AM

DSD Jake.

Full stop, end of story.

I'm convinced you could use the jake next to a brown trash bag and probably not lose much effectiveness.

allchokedup

Hands down DSD.  The upright hen and jake are my go to decoys.  My experience has been, that when a longbeard does come in, they always come to the jake and walk right past the upright hen. But, then I've had henned up birds stay out and pay no attention to anything until a hen broke off and came in put a butt whipping on my upright hen. A gobbler couldn't stand it and came in to watch the fight. If it wasn't for the hen fight my day would have been empty.
If I had to choose one.... that's a hard choice....either the jake or upright hen will do you good.
Later, David

beagler

Never Misses

R.W. Mackey

I agree with every one else, If your looking for the best get a DSD. But I'm putting my vote in for the Jake. I have the hens as well, but it's the Jake the Big Gobblers come running in and attack. They hardly pay attention to the hens. And if you want to put one of your cheapo hens with it, the Gobblers will hardly notice it.
  You will not be sorry with any DSD, but from what I've seen the Jake is the best of all.

Roy
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

owlhoot

had alot of fun with strutting b-mobiles types. That jake gets a vote dsd.
Now to hack on ya Kevin, how in the heck did you talk yourself into that funky chicken?