OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Virginia spring 2014 ??

Started by Yoder409, January 14, 2014, 08:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Thinking of a possible spring hunt in Virginia this year.

The DNR's website gives a limit on spring birds as 1, 2 or 3 depending upon the 2013 fall harvest numbers.

Anyone know when the 2014 limit determination is made and also where & how does one find out about the decision ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 14, 2014, 08:22:43 PM
Thinking of a possible spring hunt in Virginia this year.

The DNR's website gives a limit on spring birds as 1, 2 or 3 depending upon the 2013 fall harvest numbers.

Anyone know when the 2014 limit determination is made and also where & how does one find out about the decision ??

Yoder its 3 gobblers (or 3 bearded turkeys) this year also if you did not bag any in the fall.   It has been 3 for a long time.   Opens April 12th and runs to May 17th.  I love turkey hunting in VA born and raised hunting VA long beards! 

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

FloppinTom

Yoder,
Va is correct if you didn't bag any in VA in the fall you can take 3 bearded birds in the spring. Va license runs June to June. I'll be in Va come spring myself.
Good Luck :funnyturkey:
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

Yoder409

Thank you, VA Bird, sir !!!

I guess I mis-read the regs.  I read it as the DNR set the spring limit after considering the total fall harvest number.  Not that it was 3 gobblers unless the individual had taken birds in the fall.  Doh !!!    :homersimpson:

I've spent some time in the Wytheville/Marion area and am thinking I may hunt that vicinity.  Big & BEAUTIFUL country !!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Good luck to you, as well, Tom !!!
PA elitist since 1979

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 14, 2014, 09:13:01 PM
Thank you, VA Bird, sir !!!

I guess I mis-read the regs.  I read it as the DNR set the spring limit after considering the total fall harvest number.  Not that it was 3 gobblers unless the individual had taken birds in the fall.  Doh !!!    :homersimpson:

I've spent some time in the Wytheville/Marion area and am thinking I may hunt that vicinity.  Big & BEAUTIFUL country !!!!!!

Yoder the season and regs are out and posted on the VA department of game website. Here is the regs and season dates for spring gobbler from the website:

Youth and Apprentice Spring Turkey Hunting Day

April 5, 2014:

Statewide
    Resident and nonresident youth hunters 15 years of age and under and holders of a valid apprentice hunting license, when in compliance with all applicable laws and licenses, may hunt when accompanied and directly supervised by an adult who has a valid Virginia hunting license or is exempt from purchasing a hunting license. Nonresident youth of any age need to have the appropriate licenses.
    Hunting hours are from ½ hour before sunrise to sunset.
    Bag limit is one per day, bearded birds only:
        Turkeys harvested by youth or apprentice hunters count against their daily and season bag limit.
    Adult hunters accompanying youth or apprentice turkey hunters:
        do not need a bear, deer, turkey license on this day.
        may assist with calling.
        shall not carry or discharge a firearm.
        shall maintain close visual and verbal contact with and provides adequate direction to the youth or apprentice hunter.

Spring Turkey Season
Bag Limit:

One per day, bearded turkeys only. Hunters may take one, two, or three bearded turkeys depending on how many turkeys were taken in the fall season.
Seasons: Statewide

April 12 through May 3, 2014:

One-half hour before sunrise until 12 noon each day.

May 5 through May 17, 2014:

One-half hour before sunrise to sunset.

I've also been in and through Wytheville/Marion many times.  Where I'm located with my job now I'm about 1 away.  Beautiful country in that area.

God Bless

WildSpur

Good deal.  Making my first trip for out a state gobblers down there as well.  Can't wait.   3 birds is awesome.!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

turkeyfoot

My home area in western part of state on Kentucky line is some tough hunting but lot of fun couldn't tell you the times I've been on one mountain and the birds seem to way to often be on another gobbling their heads off I like the 3rd week of season early can be tough spring hunting in my area season comes in little on early side

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: turkeyfoot on January 15, 2014, 05:17:26 PM
My home area in western part of state on Kentucky line is some tough hunting but lot of fun couldn't tell you the times I've been on one mountain and the birds seem to way to often be on another gobbling their heads off I like the 3rd week of season early can be tough spring hunting in my area season comes in little on early side

Sent you a PM

Yoder409

Anyone have any experience or tips hunting Clinch Mountain or Kimberling ??
PA elitist since 1979

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Yoder409

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on January 18, 2014, 10:12:28 PM
No turkeys in va.

Oh.  OK...........  ???

Nevermind....................... 
PA elitist since 1979

hwy419

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 18, 2014, 10:54:22 PM
No turkeys in va.

Oh.  OK...........  ???

Don't sip that kool-aid Yoder!!  :wave:

Yoder409

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on January 19, 2014, 06:05:07 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on January 18, 2014, 10:54:22 PM
No turkeys in va.

Oh.  OK...........  ???

Don't sip that kool-aid Yoder!!  :wave:

Uhhhhhhhh................ yeah.

Wasn't that thirsty.  Besides........ my momma raised smart kids instead of good lookin ones.   ;D

PA elitist since 1979