turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's going on at Wooghaven?

Started by TN Beard Buster, January 14, 2014, 06:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN Beard Buster

I have been a loyal supporter of Woodhaven for several years now. I recently learned that they are raising their cost 25-30% across the board. Example are their mouth calls that normally run 9.99 are now 12.99 and one new one will be 15.99. Also their new Carbon Crystal is running around 215.00. Their prices were already steep, but this is crazy. I hope they can stay in business like this, but I can't deal with these prices. There are too many other callmakers with more reasonable costs.

Rokhal07

I noticed that myself and as much as I like some of their mouthcalls its gettin' out of hand.

Eric Gregg

I like Woodhaven mouth calls and would hate for them to go up on the price.
Woodhaven don't drink the KoolAid and out price your products out of the average joe's reach!
I don't want to use anyone else's calls......

reynolds243

I'm out. I was a big wood haven fan but that's just crazy for a freaking mouth call. I'll find another one that will get the job done

savduck

Georgia Boy

bunk

I just got my Midwest turkeycall supply book in and noticed the woodhaven prices. Wow, the strike 3 strikers are $25. They were $20. The legend series pots are $90 now.

FloppinTom

They need the money for new hats! Their heads are swelling with the attention they been getting. :TooFunny:
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

VA_Birdhunter

That is out of control!!   Which I switched from them a few years back to a custom call maker for my mouth calls and haven't looked back.

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

budtripp

I like Woodhaven calls but I can buy 2 hooks or gooserbat calls for that price and they're just as good

harvester

With prices like that, I am sure several people will be looking else where for calls. Check out Champions Choice Game Calls, I am pretty sure Sadler called for Woodhaven for awhile. He should be able to fix you up with something very similar.

bigbird

I'm in no way shape or form affiliated with David Halloran at all. But I'll go ahead sound like a salesman for a pair for a moment. At Christmas time I bought my son a glass over glass pot call from David Halloran and it sounds fantastic better than any of my Woodhaven Crystal pot calls I've got on here for sale. I also bought a three pack of his diaphragm calls the TKO natural born killer and she devil. The diaphragm call sound terrific all three of them they were $20 I think the glass on glass was only $50. Since Christmas I've ordered two more pot calls from him I'm waiting on them to come in, another glass on glass for myself and a slate. There are several YouTube videos, his box calls sound great also.

harvester

I have to agree with big bird on this. Woodhaven seems to be laggin behind with their pot calls. I've had 3 different ones and have sold all of them. They just didn't have the sound to match the price they sold for.

Gamblinman

Used to live and breathe Woodhaven, but no more. Too many good custom callmakers that can deliver. I will still have my Cherry classic Crystal and Cherry box call with me in my vest, but Hooks has my mouth call business. If you like the shape and texture of the Woodhaven tape, just call Hooks and they will make them.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

thundrchikin

Woodhaven has been going down hill for several years IMO. I've been using Cane Creek Calls for several years and love them plus they're priced right.

merocustomcalls

I found this very interesting that Woodhaven is using a carbon fiber sound board.  Those of you that know me well might remember the glass and crystal calls I made with carbon fiber sound boards.  I made these about 7 YEARS AGO.  I quit using carbon fiber as a sound board once I discovered how much better cherry wood was.  The carbon fiber was a pain in the butt to work with.  I even made a few versions that had two discs of carbon fiber that were lightly glued together.  My intention was that the two pieces would vibrate together and make the call super raspy.  Didn't really pan out. 

I don't base 100% of my opinion on calls based on how they place in Nashville, but look at the names you consistently see at the top of the friction call results.  Names like: Steve Morganstern, Gary Anderson, Bill Lyman, Lon Trice, Clint Corder, David Halloran, Buddy Stang, Pat Strawser, Austin and Kimmey Hanks.  I could go on and on.  Mike Pentecost has also placed high in Nashville but not as often as some of the above names. 

Again.....I place much more of my opinion on how the calls perform in the woods.  I mainly used a Steve Morganstern slate call last year when I wasn't using a trumpet.  That call was incredible in the woods interacting with real birds.  Most every custom call maker in the elite of the friction call world produces his calls under $75.  A pot call for $200 is getting way out of hand.