turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's going on at Wooghaven?

Started by TN Beard Buster, January 14, 2014, 06:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

Dang, guess I am out too. Woodhaven has been my favorite diaphragm maker, but I won't pay $13 for one

Gooserbat

AS a call maker I can say overhead does continue to rise, my biggest increase in the past couple of years has been in the cost of insurance and outdoor shows. That's one reason why I don't attend many any more.  Consumers want to meet and mingle with the people they do business with but just 5 years ago the average cost of doing a show was $650-$700 now its $850-$900 but no one wants to give that extra $1 for a diaphragm or the $5 more for a pot.

Now I don't get the $12 diaphragm at all but they have their reasons and I'm not here to throw stones.  I guess it's just a trickle effect ultimately the guy at the bottom has to pay for the cost of doing business.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

rushmouthcalls

packmule

Quote from: rushmouthcalls on January 15, 2014, 12:42:12 PM
Give Rush Calls a try fellas!

:agreed: I have several of these, they are very, very good!

R AJ

Until I get onto turkeys that will not come to anything but a Woodhaven call I'll be using many others.

There are umpteen call makers that have good quality calls and they are much less expensive.

FireDoc

Just go with Hooks. Great calls with great prices made by awesome folks.  :icon_thumright:

Plus that River Boss that Morg came up with is one sweet sounding call.  :z-winnersmiley:
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

reynolds243

I love hooks but the frames are to small which makes them not a real good option. Sucks because I really like them

BowBendr

I knew when Wilbur Primos brought out them $12 mouth calls last year that this was going to happen.
Too many good call makers out there to pay that much for a caller........

TauntoHawk

Those are crazy prices, not when I can get mouth calls from hooks and pot calls from halloran for half that. The turkeys don't seem to mind the affordable stuff
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GSLAM95

There have been some great mouth call companies mentioned here for those who want to try other alternatives.  Another one that I will mention is STRIKEZONE mouth calls.  Randy Panek makes every one of these calls by hand with an aluminum frame unlike any other on the market today.  My personal favorites are the Dead Zone and the Flock Talker.
Give them a look...
http://wildtalker.com/WildTalker/Strike_Zone_Mouth_Calls.html

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Devastator

Quote from: reynolds243 on January 15, 2014, 07:56:12 PM
I love hooks but the frames are to small which makes them not a real good option. Sucks because I really like them
Is it the frame or the tape?If it is the tape he can use full size tape if ya tell him to.Give him a call.

reynolds243

Quote from: timb on January 16, 2014, 04:33:17 PM
Quote from: reynolds243 on January 15, 2014, 07:56:12 PM
Is it the frame or the tape?If it is the tape he can use full size tape if ya tell him to.Give him a call.

Yeah it's the tape. Didn't know you could get them any different.

rempumpman

Prices are CRAZY in ALL of the departments; who would have ever thought we needed a 1500.00 shotgun to go out and kill a turkey? what about the "turkey chokes" for our guns? what about the "turkey loads" in our shotgun shells? the "old timers" who knew how to really hunt, you know the ones that used the ol' winchester single shot guns, the ones who hunted with the Lynch box calls and made them sound like solid gold, and I could go on & on but I think ya'll get my point; we spend (including myself) way too much money on things that half of it is not needed to kill a turkey; we (I) read way too many magazines & the advertisements in those magazines makes us think that we need all of this stuff to be a better turkey hunter; how someone spends their hard earned money is definitely none of my business but complaining about a company going up on their calls but then turn around and spend double that on the newest, greatest camo clothing, or anything else associated with our sport, makes me wonder where we draw the line on this madness.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

tnturkey

ill agree in a sense woodhaven has always treated me very very good with good people to deal with. but I heard the carbon call run at the ata show and while it sounds good there is absolutely no way im paying 200 dollars for a pot call. its just not worth it to me. im not paying 12 for a mouth call either. but I don't run mouth calls a ton. I will say woodhaven will continue to get my business. but not near as much as normal. I have found a few random guys in Nashville that i run their calls now. that's why i love the show it lets the little people have a chance and a lot of those people make great calls.

Old Gobbler

Any company can charge what they want for their product , it's their right to determine what they are willing to ask in order to part with it - With that being said I don't think anyone here will deny that just about very woodhaven calls sounds pretty darn good - I know in the past woodhaven has done very well on the contest scene , those contest callers , booths and such add a bit of overhead into the final product

It was mentioned , and has been many times before the cost of maintaining a booth at a local and national conventions , your looking at $700- $2000 for one booth ...depending on what your willing to itemize ....gas , nearly $4 a gallon gas... , food, hotel , booth(s) big bucks $$$$ and for Nashville a dual county tax permit , internet access ...for charge cards ? More $$$$ and if you have employees , they need food and hotels ,rental vans or trucks if your hauling loads of product ,  contest entry fees for your calls , contest fees for calling contests for you and or your employees.....call donations , that can ad up too , if you need 2,3 or say 6 booth spots that can add up real fast --plus if you took time off from your regular job you would be kidding yourself if you didn't compensate yourself for your time you lost at that job , or at the least pay yourself for your trouble , how bout keeping the lights on at your house in exchange for months of preparation and fronting the materials in the first place - Running a call company on the circuit is no piece of cake

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon