turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scopes/Sights

Started by srmturk, January 14, 2014, 04:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srmturk

I've been hunting with only the sights that came with my gun...bead at the barrel.  Thinking I should upgrade.  Thoughts on scope vs better sights?  And if you have an opinion on one...what brand/style would you recommend?

MKMGOBL

I tried the scope thing years ago didn't like how it added weight, fogging up in the rain or set up off my gun using the b-square mount.

I then tried the holographic sights & still had the same height issue using a b-square. My main issue was hunting early morning in the woods you might need a low holographic brightness setting. But if you end up in the open field with the sun up, you will need to change the brightness setting up so you can see it. Then there's remembering to turn it on & off not to waste batteries between hunts.

For me just too much going on so I went back to basic adjustable sights. As for Tru-Glo over Williams Fires Sights? Williams Fire Sights make parts for Tru-Glo so I personally stick with them :icon_thumright:   
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

Gooserbat

I would opt for either Williams fire sights or Trueglo mag gobble dot.  (why the long name?)
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VA_Birdhunter

I tried a TruGlo 2X red dot scope in 2010 and did not have good results.  I got busted about 3 times that year with it.  I finally figured out on the last one that they were seeing the glare of the glass...and immediately went back to fixed sights.  Simple is better for me I guess.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

chatterbox

For me, the Burris FFIII is the way to go.
Light, accurate, tough as a tank and reliable.
Dot on neck=dead bird.

Austy

I've been hunting turkeys for over 35 years and still just use the bead that came with the gun.  Can't beat it, you just have to know how your gun patterns.  I've been on hunts with guys that had adjustable sights, scopes and have heard the horror stories of missing only to find out that the scope moved or the adjustable sights shifted.  The bead on the other hand, as long as it's on the barrel you should be able to kill your gobbler and I have shot them out to 54 good steps, and I only hunt with a 3" Mag..

tomstopper

Bead for me for last 23 years.

ElkTurkMan

I switched to the tru-glo gobble stopper red dot in 2010, and have been very pleased with it.

srmturk

This is helpful...if not definitive.  haha   Not sure if others have run into this but I have an SBE2 and none of Williams fire sights fit it.  I was very disappointed.  Not sure what to do to get something similar.  I have worried about the glare issue VA referred to.  Makes me gun-shy of a scope.  I've wondered about the Burris but wondered about glare on that as well.
More thoughts welcome!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: srmturk on January 14, 2014, 10:28:07 PM
This is helpful...if not definitive.  haha   Not sure if others have run into this but I have an SBE2 and none of Williams fire sights fit it.  I was very disappointed.  Not sure what to do to get something similar.  I have worried about the glare issue VA referred to.  Makes me gun-shy of a scope.  I've wondered about the Burris but wondered about glare on that as well.
More thoughts welcome!

There are Truglo "Pro-Series" sights to fit your gun. TG944D (5/16" rib) They are all steel, fully adjustable for windage and elevation, have fiber optic inserts so they are visible in low and bright light conditions and attach to the rib with set screws. They can also be removed and replaced without having to re-sight them, as long as you put them in the same place.

I've used them on several guns for years with excellent results.

They work.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chatterbox

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 14, 2014, 11:19:04 PM
More thoughts welcome!

There are Truglo "Pro-Series" sights to fit your gun. TG944D (5/16" rib) They are all steel, fully adjustable for windage and elevation, have fiber optic inserts so they are visible in low and bright light conditions and attach to the rib with set screws. They can also be removed and replaced without having to re-sight them, as long as you put them in the same place.

I've used them on several guns for years with excellent results.

They work.

Thanks,
Clark
This. If you don't want a red dot, go with these.

srmturk

Thanks Clark and Chatter...that's what I'll do

MKMGOBL

Not sure if others have run into this but I have an SBE2 and none of Williams fire sights fit it. 

Did you try the Universal Vent Rib Slugger? It fits fine on my SBE II, M2 & both of my pro-staff's SBE II.

srmturk

I did not.  When I called Williams they flat out said they had nothing for me

MKMGOBL

Well so you know, it fits ;) I'm sad to hear they told they didn't have a sight for it. They have always had good service when I've called to order for my shotgun or rifle peep sights.

I must say though, the Williams sight can be a royal pain in the butt to put on especially if you have big fingers & are very impatient with small screws like me. However, I've taken them on/off to crow or rabbit hunt over the years, I've got pretty good at it. Once on...they are solid!

I great thing I love about turkey hunting is getting to try out all the new & cools things that come along with the sport. You'll find the right sight especially when you've got a great forum with experienced hunters like Old Gobbler has helping. Best of luck with whatever sight you decide to go with :camohat: