turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Decoys - Avian X or Dave Smith?

Started by C.j., January 14, 2014, 09:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.j.

What yall think? im getting a hen and a half strut jake. already have a B mobile that is fading in color.

bigbird

What did it for me was last year before season I was in a Cabelas store and they had both brands you're talking about side-by-side. I thought the Dave Smith decoys look better, they're both a salty decoy as far as the price goes but if you watch the video of the Dave Smith decoy how strong it is. They shoot the thing with a three or 3 1/2 inch turkey shell At like 15 or 20 yards and the paint and everything holds up so good you can't even tell that it was shot, other than you can hear the shot rattling around in the decoy! I believe you will be happy with either decoy as far as looks goes, but I don't know personally how dependable a zinc decoy is versus the DSD.

MKMGOBL

My signature shows how I feel :camohat:  I've got an original up right hen in my hunting room along with the new up right hen from Santa this year. I'm now waiting for the feeder hen & Jake to arrive any day. Next year Santa is going to bring me the gobbler decoy so I can set it up like in the video link below ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyLAQbhYoGI

"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

GSLAM95

DSD - Wins out in every category.  I have carried them all across the country and they have held up very well over the years.  I will not bow hunt without them! 
Dave Smith's decoys hold up very well and he is the only manufacturer that has his production facilities here in the USA! 
One glance at the DSD beside the others and I think anyone would agree that this is one case where Made in the USA wins out hands down!

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Gamblinman

I've hunted behind both and they both work, but that DSD just has a little bit more realism to it.

DSD...hands down!

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

boomer

Rio Fan

I think you should see if guesswho will make you one of his custom bodonka decoys.  ;D

In all seriousness, for realism and durability, Dave Smith decoys are the way to go.

budtripp

VA_Birdhunter

DSD decoys do look good!  I'm thinking of adding one in the next few years myself. 

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

ohiostrutter

See if you can find a store near you that has them I was skeptical about them but compare them to the avian x thiers a big difference also thier customer service is top notch glad to support a product made here in the us :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

alloutdoors

Quote from: MKMGOBL on January 14, 2014, 11:32:40 AM
Next year Santa is going to bring me the gobbler decoy so I can set it up like in the video link below

Weird, that looks just like my back yard...  ;) :icon_thumright:

To be honest though, I think the jake is more effective than the strutter. Not that the strutter doesn't work, but if you put them out together the birds always go straight to the jake. I only even bothered to get the strutter out once this year when I was dealing with a flock of about 20 birds that liked to fly off the roost right into the middle of a field. I wanted the motion to get their attention.

The Avian X are a good decoy too and the 2014 versions look like a big improvement, but I still prefer the American made DSD.

stringtown

i agree regarding head to head.  i have 2 avian x hens and my uncle has a dsd hen.  when out together really not even close.  the avian is almost too big of a hen if that makes sense. 

i don't use a decoy a ton but i would go w/ dsd if you don't mind the cost b/c they are legit.

jblackburn

Avians are nice since they deflate/fold, but they are really heavy for a decoy, IMO.  I have a DSD hen that I think looks better, but it's bulky to carry around, especially if you run and gun a bit.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.