OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SX3 vs. Versa Max

Started by Racer1, January 10, 2014, 11:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racer1

Though I have been on this forum several times this is my first post.  I am thinking of selling/trading in my 835 and 1187 and buying one gun that I can use for everything I hunt (turkey, quail, rabbit).  Curious of your opinion in the SX3 and Versa Max.  Load/choke combinations and just general performance.  Thanks in advance!!!!

SumToy

I like both.  Both will give a very good pattern.  More chokes out for the SX3 but you can find good chokes that fit V-Max.      I would go pick up both and hold them.  See if one fits you better or you like the feel of it better. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Uchee creek gobblers

That was the same choice I had to make and I went and held both guns and the versa max jus didn't fit me at all. Needless to say I own an sx3 nwtf edition and it fits me like a glove. I'm a remington man but it jus wasn't right for me. Glad I made the choice I did.
ALABAMA NOGGIN' KNOCKER

reynolds243

There a reason those are the 2 your down too? Just wondered no biggie.

Racer1

Want a good semi auto for everything.  After talking to several people and reading a lot these two seemed to be in every discussion.  I also love that the safety is easily reversible in both guns since I am a south paw.  I'm open to other suggestions...

reynolds243

Both are good guns. I liked the fit in the sx3 better when I was shopping but went with a SBE2 in the end as it was by far my fav and I'm an inertia gun fan due to the ease of breakdown and cleaning

dirtywhite

I personally like the feel of the sx3 over the remington it felt better in my hands but another contender out their now is the new franchi it will shoot up to a 3.5" shell and you can get it in bottomland to  :drool:
"Forgiveness is between god and them it's my job to arrange the meeting"

the Ward

If your looking for an all around, do all auto,i would scratch both those off my list.Both are good guns,but if I were you I would be looking into a 3" gun instead of a 3.5,as you state you plan on doing a lot of upland hunting.I just can't see lugging around a 3.5 for quail and rabbit all day.A good 3" load/choke combo will kill any gobbler that walks.A good older 1187,beretta a300,390/391 benelli m2/vinci, and others might be better suited for what your saying you are going to use it for.Plus a 3.5 might not reliably cycle light 2-3/4 loads used for upland game.Buy a gun that fits you and one that your going to be happy with carrying all day.Both those guns would be great for waterfowl and turkey,but might not be the ticket for a lot of upland/mixed bag hunting.Only you can decide that.Jmho....ward       oops,just saw that you have an 1187,my bad!

deerpoo22

While Benelli shotguns would always be my first choice, I really like the SX3. It fits me like a glove, and I love how they look. Really soft shooting and swings great. Plus they are priced great. That said, I wouldn't trade my SBE2 for anything. While I'm sure the versamax is a fantastic shotgun, I hate Remingtons. Lol

allaboutshooting

I also like both of those guns. I have a very early SX3 and have used it for just about everything from clays sports to upland, waterfowl and turkey hunting. It's very light, well balanced and reliable.

I was fortunate enough to be at the Grand when the Versa Max was introduced and took it to the range and spent some "quality time" with it. Since that time I've been able to shoot one in various conditions and it's also a very reliable shotgun.

There are more turkey chokes available for the SX3 than the Pro Bore Versa Max but there are turkey chokes available for it now and if it continues to increase in popularity, more makers will offer them as well.

I think you've had some good advice about handling both and seeing which fits you better and feels better. That's really the test.

Lastly, I'd recommend that you take a look at a 3" Benelli Vinci, handle one and see how it comes up to your shoulder. For the last couple of years I've found myself taking that gun to the field more than just about anything else. It has less muzzle jump than any gun I've shot. Just a thought.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

CrustyRusty

The Maxus is the best shotgun for my purposes that I have ever owned.  And I have had Benellis,Beretta and Browning golds ,an A5 1187's and now the Maxus. It just fits me perfectly, you can switch the safety and is the best patterning gun I've ever owned.

longbeard27030

I haven't been on here in forever! I guess you could say I lost my way!! Lol I own the Versa Max and love it!! I use it all around for everything!! I to had a different gun for everything and wanted one gun for all around!! Like others say see how it fits you, I am about 6'6" tall and I liked the fact of being able to adjust the length of pull on the VM! As far as finding chokes for the VM they are out there and you can find a deal on them if you look hard enough! I bought an Indian Creek off of eBay for $20 because it was listed as a VM choke instead of a probore! It's all in personal choice but I love my VM!!

Old Gobbler

Another vote for the versa max - I have one that I have put about 2 cases of black cloud waterfowl loads in 3 and 3.5 in it -- it chugs it down and spits it out like a champ - love the gun , a ingenious design

I have a sumtoy turkey choke that I'm gonna try some loads with , when I get the chance I'll post the results - right now the aftermarket choke selection for the pro bore threads is somewhat skimpy , but these versamax guns are a smash hit , and are gaining recognition , in time the chokes will become more available

I'll go out on a limb here and claim that the versamax is perhaps Remington's best auto loader ever --and gives some of the pricey Italian autos a run for the money

The design is so good that I think Remington needs to make a 20 gauge versamax too
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

BandedSpur

Agreed; a 6 lb 20 gauge Versamax would be the bomb. I love my 12 ga 1187, but at 8 lb +, it is just too heavy to be considered an all around gun (too heavy to carry for upland game). Not sure how much a 12 Versamax weighs, but if it's as heavy as an 1187, it's too heavy for an all a-rounder.

63beards

I've owned both, while the versa max was the softest shooting shotgun i've ever shot, it just didn't feel good, too "bulky" i guess would describe it best, i say sx3 all the way, as far as benelli's, i love the way they feel and perform, just can't hit a dang thing (flying) with them, have had other hunters state the same, stand a Benelli on it's butt plate side by side against most any other gun and look at the difference in the way the barrels point.... most times the benelli is pointing lower... like i said, i love the way benelli's  feel & perform, i shot one for three years, (knowing the whole time that i was missing birds i wasn't suppose to miss,this past season made 47 years i've been shooting doves, have NEVER missed an opening day) finally put it down, admitting it was the gun, not me.... SX3 all the way...jmo
71 beards