OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What gun did you start turkey hunting with?Calls? Shells?Vests?

Started by owlhoot, January 09, 2014, 06:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

I had a Mossberg 835, used a HS Strut Raspy Old hen to call him in.  I had some old leather workbooks that soaked my feet, Old Advantage camp from walmart, and no vest. 

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Red Clay

I had a Remington special purpose 12 gauge. No vest. I used a fanny pack. The camo was regular green camo with these pin-on leaves that Dad bought. My first calls were an "old boss hen" diaphragm and a Neil cost box dad bought for me from Greenwood Supply. I carried that box for years in the rain and sunshine. Then one day I went to a nwtf banquet and a similar box call auctioned off for over $1,000. I had no idea I had been carrying around a nice box call. All this was in the 80's.

101st501

3 1/2 number 4s out of a Mossberg 835, I thought bigger was better

jblackburn

Quote from: jblackburn on January 14, 2014, 08:21:39 PM
I had a Mossberg 835, used a HS Strut Raspy Old hen to call him in.  I had some old leather workbooks that soaked my feet, Old Advantage camp from walmart, and no vest.

I got to thinking about this, and this set up is what I called in and killed my first bird with.

I actually started the year before with my great uncle's Iver Johnson single shot 12 gauge with a full choke. No idea about shells, probably something high brass we had, likely 4s.  Camo was probably the same, and the call was dad's old Roger Latham box call.  I had a bird gobble at me using it and that hooked me for life!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Chuck1443

The first year there was a turkey
season on my property 95' non             camo 835 that I put a camo sock on ( couldn't even cycle another shell )  I can't remember the name of the shells but they were 3" with a 3.5" load ( all the local shop had over 2.75 ) the ugliest knit camo outfit ever made and a hs strut double slate over glass that I learned to work sitting there with the instructions out laying on my leg , called in and shot a jake ( first turkey I ever seen ) 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-town

I started with a Rem 870 Wingmaster, 28 in modified  vent rib. #6 high brass squirrel loads. Lynch box. Woodland camo pattern. Face paint. Screwed up and killed a bird first trip out. Ruint for life!

natman

Gun: Mossberg 500 12 ga 3" with 28" barrel and Mossberg X-full choke. After a couple of years dragging the long barrel through the woods I switched to a 20" barrel. Did a camo job with CamoClad stickers and used it like that for nearly 20 years.

I needed another Mossberg for a slug gun project and while I was shopping for it I ran across this:

Short, light, powerful, fiber optic sights. Pretty much the same gun, but with factory camo. Perfect for the way I hunt.

Shells: I took my first turkey with a Remington turkey shell, but shortly thereafter I found some 3" 2oz lead #4 winchester turkey loads. I've since taken 27 turkeys in a row with one shot each. I suppose that if I used HTL and some load development I could come up with a load that would shoot farther, but within 40 yards this load is as deadly as anything else.

Clothing: I started out with surplus Woodland camo and a butt pad, but I soon got a full set of Realtree Xtra Brown, including a generic Cabelas vest. RTXB is an excellent pattern, and while there have been some improvements in photorealism over the years, I've had a hen walk around me close enough for me to kick and once had a squirrel jump onto my hat. I've decided the old camo is adequate to the task.

eddie234

My winchester 1300, which i still use. Primos power crystal and a lynch fool proof box call.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

cphill

H&r 12 ga it was a 3 1/2 in gun and I shot 2 of them in it then give the rest of the box away and bought some 3 in Winchester that I could handle....hunted everyday I could my first season and finally killed a long beard on the last day still one of the best birds I have killed and that was 14 years ago..call hs slate call and still use it from time to time

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Pressured Gobbler

NEF 10ga with factory Mossy Oak Bottomland camo pattern... Fed #4 turkey loads... Mossy Oak Longbeard turkey vest and a Grahms Mountainside combo call... and a chapman lowboy turkey seat

hobbes

My first season was spent wandering around in the rain with a Weatherby 12 ga. that I had applied camo tap to.  I don't remember what calls I used and I'm sure I used whatever camo I had for duck and deer hunting.  I don't remember what ammo I carried.  The most exciting event happened before season on a scouting trip.  I had never seen wild turkeys other than when I had run up on them while trail riding a dirt bike, so it was that area that I started looking in.  My first time out in early March resulted in a big tom strutting by me with five or six hens.  I was hooked from that point on.
Before the next season I purchased a full outfit of the original Realtree, an All Purpose Realtree vest, a plain Remington 12 ga. 870 Turkey Special w/ 21" barrel that would shoot 3" shells instead of just 2 ¾", a couple boxes of 3" Winchester XX Mag #5 turkey loads (in the grey Trebark box), and several calls that I still have.  I had a Lynch Jet Slate, a Ray Eye single sided box call, an HS slate call, a couple diaphragm mouth calls that I know included an HS Cutt'n 2.5, a Quaker Boy crow call, and a K&H owl call.  I lost the K&H owl hooter not too many years ago.  I also listened to a cassette tape over and over by HS that I believe was call Eye On The Wild Turkey that included Ray Eye and Walter Parrott giving instruction on how to call a bird in (wish I still had that) since my father or I neither one had any experience hunting turkeys. 
On the second or third day I could hunt that season I was using the Lynch Jet Slate when a jake slipped in behind me without making a sound.  I was more than happy to swing around and let him have it with a load of #5's.  I can still picture that first sight of that jake when I peeked around behind me.  My first tom came the following year using the same equipment but the HS slate instead of the Lynch.

WildSpur

I started with a Mossberg 500 shooting 3/2/4 Remington premier and Federal loads.

My camo was either my father's old army camo or I had a 10x coverall on the original realtree brown leaf.

I don't think I had a vest until I was in high school.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Hooks' n' Beards'

i started with a Winchester 1300 and still have 2 of them,i don't carry them in the turkey woods anymore but they are still my favorite slug guns for deer hunting and make great backup turkey rigs....             

FL-Boss

I started sometime in the late 80's. ...around 12 yr old.  But I didn't have a clue to what I was doing until about 10 years later.    Even then I only would hunt each spring maybe 2-4 times.   I actually killed my first gobber while deer hunting on new years eve with #1 buckshot when I was about 17 yr old.

Then about 6 years ago I stared to get super serious about spring turkey hunting....  hunt 3-4 days each week during spring season now.

Started with a Stevens single barrel 20ga, probably #4 ... Lohman slate call.

nitro

Wilkes County, GA April, 1978.  Vietnam surplus Tigger Stripe camo..

Grandpa's old Model 12 Heavy Duck model. WW Super X 1.5 oz #6s.....Same shells we duck hunted with.

Lynch Fool Proof. Still have it. Lots of notches on her...

I don't know who was more surprised.. Me or him. Either way, we both rode home in the 'Cuda.. :toothy12:
Royal Slam 2008