OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What gun did you start turkey hunting with?Calls? Shells?Vests?

Started by owlhoot, January 09, 2014, 06:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

Belgian Browning 16 gauge "auto", imp cyl., cammo pants , coat , cap with no gloves/mask. Calls were ML Lynch box, Lynch's Jet Slate , home made mouth calls built by local game warden , Don L. Thomas.

First gobbler I called up had a lot of white in it and looked like a ghost ostrich coming at me. I fired in self defense at probably 50-60 yds. with my #4 2 3/4 " magnum Remington green shells. It flew off easily and then I started shaking. Lesson learned and I've never seen one since that was mottled like he was. A true trophy back in early 60's.

Gold Spur

I remember it like it was yesterday. Browning A5, 2 3/4 " full barrel. Federal  2 3/4" magnum #4s. Presrton Pitman bouble reed diaphragm call. Woodland camo fatigues and no vest. Sitting on the ground, called up two gobblers and killed the lead bird. He had a 10.5 inch beard and one inch spurs. I've been hooked ever since.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

ElkTurkMan

Winchester Model 12 3" Magnum shot gun, full choke barrel and I shot 3" Western SuperX 1 7/8 shot #4's.
Woodland Camo, no head net, hunters specialties camo crème make up instead of  a head net.
Lohman single reed diaphragm.

Colt45

Remington mod 48 12ga in mod barrel
Treebark camo
Hardwoods glass call borrow from a friend.

Skeeterbait

Birmingham made Lynch Fool Proof and World Champion boxes and Winchester model 50 2 3/4 inch modified choke.  I remember using blue Peters shells in #4.  Green woodland camo and to my knowledge the turkey vest had not been developed then.  I wore a small game vest to carry the calls and my lunch in.  Used charcoal to darken my face and backs of my hands.  I still have the calls and the shotgun.

kevin2

What Gun? Actually started with my Bow last season, 1st season ever. Bought a Stoeger P350 & used it once.

Calls? Spring Creek Turkey Calls-Long Box-my favorite call/Pappy's Calls-Osage Pot! Got rid of all my other pots, as Pappy RULES! Diaphragm call Custom by Gooserbat Game Calls of OldGObbLer / Faulk's Crow Call - C-50 / Primos's Peacock Call / I do owl calls with my own voice, simple the only way to ride! / Primos Double Gobbler Call / Got a couple custom strikers by guys here on Old Gobbler /

Shells? 3.5  Hevi-Shot® HEVI-13 in 5s & 7s

Vests? Russell Outdoors Super Elite 3 Trek Liite SIZE XL-2XL!!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

M Sharpe

Stevens 311A 12 ga, 30" full choke that belonged to my Dad with 2 3/4 winchester #4's. Green dickey pants, kacki shirt and army BDU jacket. No headnet or gloves. 2 Penswoods mouth calls, Roger Lathram turpin box. Killed 2 with one shot my first time out. Both had 11" beards. Cat got the feet. >:( At that time I thought the beard was the trophy and not the spurs. :TooFunny: The next year was equiped with a brand new Lynch Deluxe World Champion and QB Old Boss Hen & Quaker Boy Special mouth calls and a Treebark vest. You couldn't tell me nothing!!!!!
Those were the days......................................
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

danny

I started turkey hunting 1980.  This was the first season in my county here in North Missouri.  I asked around and could not find one person who had hunted turkeys before.  There weren't choices in clothing etc. like there are now.  Went to the military surplus store and got some used army camo.  No vest..there was not such a thing out then.  Found a .45 record[do you all even know what I am talking about] from Woods Wise that had turkey sounds on it.  Found a "Lynch's World Champion" box call at a garage sale for $5[some of the best money I ever spent I still use that call today].  I used my quail gun...Remington 870 wingmaster.  I remember going the first morning...did not have a clue what I was doing.  I sat down in a brush pile.  A hen came behind me and let out some yelps.  I tried to copy her sound and cadence.  A gobble came up and I killed him.  I was hooked.  Hunted every day the next 2 weeks and never called another one in.  But that didn't matter.  I was still in awe of the whole expierence...still am....Danny

catdaddy

GUN--A S&W pump shotgun than I camo'ed in vinyl tape. I thought it looked so cool. It had a 28 inch barrel with a modified chock. I killed my first spring turkey with this gun and many more after it.

AMMO--My brother gave me a box of Winchester 3 inch magnum lead 4's that had originally been purchased for duck hunting. I killed a lot of turkey out of that box of shells.

CALL-- A Preston Pittman single reed diaphragm.

CAMO---just what ever I already had.

VEST-- No vest. I made a possibles bag out of an old army shoulder bag. I tied the turkeys feet to a stick and toted him out.

lonnie sneed jr.

A Winchester M-12 3" mag., Lynch box, Lynch Jet slate, and a Sneed's wing bone. a ,mouth call mad out out of a tire patch with a piece of  U shaped wire, with latex.

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

Gobblerjim

Only been turkey hunting 10 years. First gun was a old sears 20 gauge. It fell apart after in shot and missed my first bird. First turkey call was a Tom Gaskins scratch box.

bigbird

Remington 1100 with winchester 2 3/4" #6's
H.S Strut push button yelper and lynch world champion box call (still have)
Camo was a combo of realtree mossyoak and tree bark
At the time I only knew a handful of people that hunted turkey's,I was 13 years old and no one in my family turkey hunted, my uncles farm had just a few on it. A lot of tough lessons learned in those early years but they are my fondest hunting memories of all!

tomstopper

Winchester 1300. Any shells I had and my grandfathers old box call

stinkpickle

Gun:  Winchester Ranger Pump, 20ga, 28" barrel, fixed Modified choke, I think.
Ammo:  Federal 3" 6's Duck loads
Call: Perfection mouth call, double reed, I think...It was blue.
Camo:  Uninsulated Realtree coveralls and stylish matching cap.  :)
Vest:  None. 

va wingbone

new england firearms 20ga 3in #4s original realtree bibs 2 sizes to big for me, i was 11 daddy did all the calling, spooked several gobblers over the next couple of years because i couldnt sit still, but he kept taking me killed my first bird when i was 13 with the same gun and wearing the same clothes.
I got him to buy me a diaphram to practice with, i yelped on that thing all the time, on the way to and from school, and almost got suspended several times for practicing in the hallway at school. I got good enough with it and a quakerboy slate that i killed my first solo bird in the spring of '95 with a 30" barreled full choked 870 wingmaster left to me by my grandfather that passed the previous summer.
needless to say i was eat up with turkey hunting and its been that way for the last 22 years!
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"