turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Worst gun you ever owned

Started by chrisun, January 07, 2014, 09:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

It was a .22 double action revolver, maybe an RIG,  made of pot metal, what used to be referred to as a "Saturday Night Special". I bought it from some older guy who needed the money and maybe paid $10.00 for it. It shot .22 shorts...thankfully. If you shot it too many times rapidly, the front sight would gradually slide off the muzzle. it was on a band that, I guess had been glued on or maybe was just a friction fit.

The cylinder did not swing out but rather had a loading gate, more like a single action revolver. One day when I was shooting it the gate broke off, from the recoil of the gun I suppose, and it, along with an empty .22 case, hit me in the right part of my face, just under my eye.

I know now that the pot metal had fatigued and that last round was more than it could take. I've tried to remember what I did with that gun but for the life of me can't. That was long before any real records were kept of gun sales and long before product recalls. We did what we did and somehow we survived.

That's the only real bad gun I've owned.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gold Spur

Remington 11-87 super mag. It's very finicky  shooting 3.5" mags and will not cycle low brass shells. Remington told me they haven't heard of any issues with the 11-87 sm's. I tried to trade it in at Macks PW and they said they didn't take 11-87 sm's on trade ins.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Cove

Quote from: Gold Spur on January 09, 2014, 09:04:32 PM
Remington 11-87 super mag. It's very finicky  shooting 3.5" mags and will not cycle low brass shells. Remington told me they haven't heard of any issues with the 11-87 sm's. I tried to trade it in at Macks PW and they said they didn't take 11-87 sm's on trade ins.

Well they're telling a lie. My brother's wrestled with them time and time again about his SM. Its junk.

But the worst gun i have ever owned was a Mossberg 9200. Terrible terrible terrible. Never would cycle shells from day 1. Returned to the factory twice and "repaired". Never any improvement. It still sits in the safe now.

ohiostrutter

Mine was also a Mossberg 9200 had one with a cantilevered slug barrel gun was a great shooter but might as well used it as a single shot would jam up More than half the time traded it for a 870

Woods-n-water

Quote from: Cove on January 09, 2014, 09:47:29 PM
Quote from: Gold Spur on January 09, 2014, 09:04:32 PM

Well they're telling a lie. My brother's wrestled with them time and time again about his SM. Its junk.

But the worst gun i have ever owned was a Mossberg 9200. Terrible terrible terrible. Never would cycle shells from day 1. Returned to the factory twice and "repaired". Never any improvement. It still sits in the safe now.

Funny you say that about the 9200. I had one that I bought in about 97 that was one the best I've had. Killed a many a turkey with that joker and just about anything else I shot at too. I basically wore that gun out. Still have it though 
I'm all about getting closer to critters.
Mossy Oak Pro Staff.
Member of the Tenth legion
I gobble every time I hear an owl hoot

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 08, 2014, 10:48:13 AM
I guess I've been lucky enough not to have ever owned a terrible gun.  Some are better than others, but they've all been good.
x2 :icon_thumright:

tnturkey

high point 40 cal pistol piece of crap.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Smith&Wesson 1000 12GA

I bought that gun brand new from Walmart here locally.  Paid like $325 for it and that gun wouldn't kill a squirrel cleanly at 20yds.  It had screw in chokes.  I took it back and got a brand new Rem 1100.  Now that was a great gun. 

flintlock

Revelation 12 ga pump w/defective safety and polychoke and a mind of its own.

It went off sitting in my truck and gave me a new skylight and took part of my index finger w/it in 96 as I adjusted the polychoke.   Can you say young and dumb?

I gave it to a bud and a month later found he got 9 stitches up his lip when it hit him and split him open.

A month later his brother had it go off in the house blasting through his bedroom drywall.

They buried it on the farm.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

the Ward

Worst gun for me was the  ithica 37.Actually it was 3 different ithica 37's,a 20,a 16,and a 12.Every one would either jam up or drop shells on your boots,depending on what day of the week it was.Never got any one of them to work reliably.To this day I can't stand the sight of one lol!

bigbird

It's between an 835 ulti-mag I bought 18 years ago and an 11-87 super mag. Junk junk junk! 835 wouldn't eject shells had to have it replaced twice within 2 years. The 11-87 super mag looking back now was just a sign of things to come for remington. Gun froze up easy, wouldn't cycle shells and nobody wanted it in on any kind of trade!

surehuntsalot

browning bps 12ga ,only thing it was good for was a boat anchor
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Yoder409

Mossberg 835, hands down.

It was the clunkiest, looses, rattlingest piece o" junk I ever held and shot.  Felt like a 4x4 deckpost in my hands and wouldn't pattern for poo.

Good news is I sold it for a profit.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Cutt

Mossberg 500 also, was my first shotgun ever when I first got into turkey hunting years ago. From day one shot way of the point of aim, which was corrected with adjustable sights. Not knowing much about shotguns or turkey hunting back then, the gun should have went straight back to Mossberg. As I got more knowledgable with shotguns a few years later, I realized the choke threads were not concentric with the barrel., and were tapped at an angle.

And can't tell you how many birds I missed starting out, just from bumping the action lever lock while running and gunning, then just a click on many birds, until I learned to check it every move, lousy design, for a runner and gunner. And when I was done with it, it probably weighed a pound more with all the camo tape and camo fleece on it to silence the forearm from clanging against slide tube, spooked birds also with this gun just from the loose action clanging before i silenced it, looking back total junk.