OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kansas tips

Started by jakesdad, January 07, 2014, 07:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Ok after asking about the weather,anybody wanna share/pm any tips and/or suggestions on hunting in Kansas?Gonna be camping in Lovewell State park so hunting will be in that area.Im sure kansas will be alot different than hunting timber at home in MO so any help appreciated!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Colt45

I'm heading there also, for opening week. This will be my first trip to kansas. Maybe I'll see you there.

spaightlabs

You will find different types of properties enrolled in the WIHA program, some of which will hunt a lot like your stomping grounds. You might find some bigger fields than you are used to hunting, but many times you can still find enough terrain features to make a move on them if you need to.

I will be about 20 miles west of you guys.  Can't wait!

owlhoot

Hunted east of there a bit. Find the creek bottoms. Should be some gobbling fools, jet black hybrids.

turkeyfoot

I'll be hunting the same area sounds like several of us have same idea. Expect lot of pressure opening week from locals some  of who won't be happy your there as an ou tof stater  and will be lot of out of state guys everyone wants to get in early hoping to nab some vulnerable 2 year olds but lot of times end up messing each other up. The WMA's will be more pressured IMO

stinkpickle

+1 on finding the creek bottoms.  Also, make sure you bring your Thermacell.  That area can grow a LOT of skeeters.  And make sure you hunt afternoons and evenings.  I seem to have better luck out there in the late afternoons and evenings.  Have fun, and stay off of muddy roads, even if they're flat.  ;)

dawgfrombama

Be prepared for wind.  I've been 3 times and there is always a day or two where the wind is howling.  I've had most of my luck in the afternoons out there.  As a matter of fact all 6 birds I've killed in KS have been in hte afternoon or late evenings.  I'm heading back out there the opening day of gun season.

deerhunt1988

Turkey numbers are down in that area. Hunter pressure is at an all time high. Not trying to discourage you, just stating the facts. I won't be hunting around there my next trip to KS.

Tail Feathers

We were there last season.  Saw a lot of hens and almost no gobblers.  Gobblers we saw were all on adjacent private land.
Don't be afraid to drive a ways to find WIHA's.  Some can be good.
We left ahead of a snow storm that closed all the roads in the area, including the interstate.
They have some birds but we found it hard to find toms.  Hope your luck is better.
Beautiful area tho.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Swamprunner

I went there 2 years ago and could've killed all that I wanted.  If you get good weather, they are not hard to kill.  Binocs, determination, and good boots, and you should be fine.

jakesdad

I went there 2 years ago and could've killed all that I wanted.  If you get good weather, they are not hard to kill.  Binocs, determination, and good boots, and you should be fine.

This is the main reason we opted for May instead of early April for our first trip....weather a little more predictable

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

dirtnap

I went to Kansas last year for the first time not knowing what to expect. It is pretty easy if you have any calling ability and woodsmanship.

I will be going back this year.  Weather can be a factor out there. 

nativeks

If you can deal with all the folks showing up anymore you should do okay. The hatch in NC Kansas was down 60% I believe they said this year and 50% in other areas so after this year it may be a a couple before you get any 2 yr olds. I know there aren't many young of the year birds around this year.