turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Early April Kansas weather

Started by jakesdad, January 07, 2014, 10:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Headed to north central Kansas first part of April.Can anybody give me a general idea what to expect weather wise?Just trying to plan ahead on what to expect and what I may need to pack or buy if I dont have to prepare.Thanks!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Mike Honcho

Early April in NC KS can be all over the place...sunny and warm to cool , cloudy and wet. I'd pack a selection of gear for 75 degree weather to 50 degree weather and some rain gear. 

Good luck!

jakesdad

Sounds similar to home here in NE Missouri

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

bigbird

He's right I've never hunted in Kansas but oklahoma and nebraska are that way. One year in ok it went from 85 and sunny to 30's and frozen mix in the same hunt! You don't have to pack it all but don't trust the weather forecast completely, it would have bit me in the hind end. Good luck to ya!

Gamblinman

Be perpared for anything from blizzard conditions to twisters. I've seen them both in early season KS.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Hognutz

Last year I went the second week of April. It was 71 degrees when I got there on Sun. Mon morning it was 35 degrees with a 40 mph wind. Stayed that way for three days..Except for the day it rained. It was 35, 30 mph wind and rain!! I couldn't wait to leave..Needless to say, I didn't hurt the turkey population any.. ;D
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

spaightlabs

We hunted the 2nd week of April near Oberlin a few years back and had a few inches of wet, nasty snow.  Had one guy get hypothermic on us...cotton is not the fabric of outlives in those conditions...

jakesdad

stinkpickle

I typically wait for May, and even then I monitor the forecast day-to-day to determine when to head out there.

Gamblinman

Typically, but not always, the first week of May is ideal.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

jakesdad

sounds like we may have to make a trip back in may if the april weather doesnt pan out for us.

spaightlabs

You will be fine, we've killed birds in the snow out there...them KS birds like to play no matter the weather.  Seems like most of the time if you get pissy weather it only lasts for a half day or a day.

Stay on the main roads if it is wet.  No gravel in the road base on the side roads, they get greasy.

owlhoot

Tail Feathers

We got snowed out last year and a squall hit three years ago and ran us out.  60 mph wind, with hail the size of marbles and temps dropping 50 degrees wasn't fun.
Both trips started with good weather and ended with bad stuff.  It can be "iffy" for sure.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

stinkpickle

Quote from: spaightlabs on January 07, 2014, 09:07:36 PM
You will be fine, we've killed birds in the snow out there...them KS birds like to play no matter the weather.  Seems like most of the time if you get pissy weather it only lasts for a half day or a day.

Stay on the main roads if it is wet.  No gravel in the road base on the side roads, they get greasy.

I agree.  The only time I've seen the birds shut down out there is when it got hot and the heat index soared up near 100 at the end of May.  The other times, either they were vocal or strutting out in the open where they were easy to glass.  Cooperativeness varies, but it's sure a lot more motivating to hunt where you know birds are, at least.

I agree about the dirt roads, too.  If there's no gravel on 'em, wait for them to dry after it rains.  I think it's a lot easier to drive on ice than those grease traps.