turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which boots?

Started by turkeykiller22, January 06, 2014, 05:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

So a few weeks ago I was in south texas filming for a TV show when I noticed that my soles on my snake boots are starting to come off. I have had these boots for 5 years now and I have been super happy with them, they were cabbalas brand and i bought them for 99$.

With that being said I am in need of a new pair of boots for the up coming turkey season!! One thing that I HAVE to have is a LIGHT pair of boots. I hate these things that heavy, no need for things to slow me down.

Another thing that I liked about them was the fact that I did not have to lace the boots up every time I wore them. They had loops for the shoe strings all the way up, so at the top I tied them in a knot and used them as slip on boots! I would prefer not to have to tie my boots every time I go hunting but if worst comes to worst I will

What are your suggestions for boots?

Thanks!
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

TN Beard Buster

Hey TK22. I don't have a suggestion for you, but I'm gonna watch your post to see what others respond. I'm also in need of new boots myself. I had a pair of Cabela's $99 snake boots that I hunted in for 2 turkey seasons and they started leaking like a sponge. I'm considering those Boa snakeboots from Cabela's, but that $230 price tag makes me cringe a little bit. I don't mind paying for quality tho. Maybe we can both get some great advice outta this.

R AJ

Please allow what specific Cabela's boot you have. Five yrs have worn out every pair I have ever owned from Gokey,to Chippewas and about five others.
One boot I am looking at is the LaCrosse Alpha Mudlite Snakeproof boot. Supposedly a light weight, waterproof boot that is 18" tall with no strings attached! :icon_thumright: They also have some cooling innovation for circulation and that is noteworthy.
They are selling for $159.99 at most outlets . Cheap against a snake bite treatment but if they are rubber they better be good. I have no idea as to how well supported the soles are.

CrustyRusty

I like Muck boots. They're easy to get on and off,waterproof and I don't find them to be too heavy. They make a hiker now that looks promising. Good luck.

kevin2

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

alloutdoors

Quote from: RAJ on January 06, 2014, 06:21:27 PMOne boot I am looking at is the LaCrosse Alpha Mudlite Snakeproof boot. Supposedly a light weight, waterproof boot that is 18" tall with no strings attached! :icon_thumright: They also have some cooling innovation for circulation and that is noteworthy.
They are selling for $159.99 at most outlets . Cheap against a snake bite treatment but if they are rubber they better be good. I have no idea as to how well supported the soles are.

I have a pair of these that I bought last spring for a hunt in GA. I've been really happy with them and have found them to be as comfortable as any other rubber boot I have owned, more comfortable than most actually. They are a little stiffer, which I assume comes from being snake proof, but it didn't bother me at all. I wound up wearing them for our season here in NY even though I don't have to worry about any snakes in my area, and I wore them again when hunting this past fall. I'm not sure about the air circulation system, I actually had to go look at my boots to see if that was something new for 2014 but sure enough, my pair has a little tag saying they have it. I didn't find them to be particularly hot (compared to other rubber boots), but I didn't think they were noticeably cooler than other rubber boots either. Overall I think they are a really nice boot for the money.

BigMick

I've had a pair of Danner Pronghorn Snake boots for about 3 years and LOVE them!  I highly recommend them!  I always wear them while turkey hunting and wear them a lot when early season bow hunting.  I haven't had any issues with them.  Great boot!

stinkpickle

I like my Danner Pronghorns, but next time around, I'll probably try their Jackal snake boots.

Woods-n-water

I used to be a big fan of rocky boots but the last two pair I've owned sucked. Both pair started leaking shortly after getting broke in. There quality has really went down.  So I went back to the trusted lacrosse grange boot.
I'm all about getting closer to critters.
Mossy Oak Pro Staff.
Member of the Tenth legion
I gobble every time I hear an owl hoot

R AJ

Quote from: Woods-n-water on January 08, 2014, 11:04:02 AM
I used to be a big fan of rocky boots but the last two pair I've owned sucked. Both pair started leaking shortly after getting broke in. There quality has really went down.  So I went back to the trusted lacrosse grange boot.

The Grange boot is not snake proof I know. What about the soles on the Grange boot? The non snake proof Muck boots I have do have one of the most supportive soles that I have used, rubber and leather included.

Woods-n-water

:biggringift:
Quote from: RAJ on January 08, 2014, 03:23:30 PM
Quote from: Woods-n-water on January 08, 2014, 11:04:02 AM

The Grange boot is not snake proof I know. What about the soles on the Grange boot? The non snake proof Muck boots I have do have one of the most supportive soles that I have used, rubber and leather included.
I've always been a big fan of the lacrosse rubber boots. Not floppy around your calf/ankle. Lightweight and definitely waterproof which is of the utmost importance to me. Nothing with send you home quicker than wet feet.  The soles on the grange is the chevron type that doesn't hold a lot of mud but still gets good traction. The only downfall is the not being snake proof.
I'm all about getting closer to critters.
Mossy Oak Pro Staff.
Member of the Tenth legion
I gobble every time I hear an owl hoot

Kylongspur88

I have both LaCross and Muck Boots. The Muck boots are lighter and in my opinion more comfortable. The LaCross have served me well though and are also comfortable. If snakes are an issue these might not be your best picks, I don't know how well they do with snake bites.

bigbird

Whatever you do do not buy the rocky snake boots. Pieces of , on pair nĂºmero 3 and gave up. First pair separated from sole after 1 hunt, 2nd pair looked fine but had zero ability to be water proof and the 3rd pair is a lot like pair number 2 so I only wear them in hill ground where I have almost zero chance of water or dew! Good luck