turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

conditioning slate

Started by Drthorn, January 05, 2014, 09:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drthorn

I have searched a few threads on the forum regarding conditioning of slates...

I have previously heard to use 220 grit sand paper on both the slate and the strikers. After searching on the threads, a lot of people recommend the green scotch brite pads to condition over sand paper.

Will somebody please explain the pros and cons of both materials? WIll the sand paper ruin the call or is it just as safe and effective as scotch brite..

I just purchased some 220 grit sandpaper and am wondering if I should trash it and go scotch brite instead.

thanks in advance.

ccleroy

Green scotchbrite is all you need to condition slate, 220 IMO is taking way to much surface off the call each time you condition. As far as conditioning a striker I use 120 grit paper.

tapiot

Didn't even know I was supposed to do that...no wonder it didn't work so hot...

Tim T.
:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Tim T.

paboxcall

220 grit will wear your slate super fast, but keep a piece of the 220 grit handy to condition the tips of your strikers though - perfect for that.  Scotchbrite is all you need for slate, and even with that, go easy.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Skeeterbait

I agree, don't use sand paper on slate.  Lightly go over it with green scotch brite and blow off the dust.  Save the sand paper for the strikers.  Keep your slate clean, dry and oil free.  Never touch it with your fingers.  Realize that the slate readily absorbs moisture and on a humid day it can absorb enought moisture from the air to change its tone.  See of you can find a cover that will fit over it.  I use the Woodhaven surface saver to protect my Cody calls but depending on what make and model you have they may not fit.

jakesdad

Quote from: ccleroy on January 05, 2014, 10:33:03 PM
Green scotchbrite is all you need to condition slate, 220 IMO is taking way to much surface off the call each time you condition. As far as conditioning a striker I use 120 grit paper.

This is all you need :z-winnersmiley:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Drthorn

Looks like I'll be picking up some scotch brite in the near future

Gooserbat

X3!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Drthorn

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 07, 2014, 10:49:29 AM
X3!
X4 :icon_thumright:
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

alloutdoors

Scotchbrite for the slate, 120 or 220 for the striker. You can also use a lighter on a slate to take the moisture out of it. The scotchbrite works good on copper calls too.