turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

410 ga. Recommendation

Started by VA_Birdhunter, January 05, 2014, 03:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

Has anyone had any dealings with the Mossberg Maverick 88 All purpose 20ga?  Just come across them looking at some 20ga but have never used one or know anyone that has. 

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

FireDoc

For what it is worth;

My daughter is extremely petite, and this past Spring we used a .410 HR for turkey season. After patterning it, I knew the shot had to be close. We were good within 20 yards maximimum.

On opening morning, I called in a HUGE Tom for her. At 14 yards, she shot right over his head due to nerves and a small pattern. Needless to say, we were both sick about it.

She did manage to kill a bird later, but I had him at 10 yards for her and aiming for the beard.

Even though she tagged, I was really kicking myself for not moving up to a 20 gauge.

After doing some research, I bought her a Mossberg 510;

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-510-mini-super-bantam-all-purpose/50490

Even with her petite size, she is able to hold and shoot it well. I used a Recoil Pad on it as well to make the fit even better. Being a 20 gauge, it has a great pattern out to 30 yards and I have been really impressed with it. Looking forward to the Spring!

Good luck with your purchase whichever way you go, and good luck in the Spring!
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

owlhoot

One more thing , just how old of a kid makes a huge difference in [slip a 3" mag 20 or 12].       use some common sense and your own judgement.  six year old =heck of a difference between taking a 12 year old.
How old is your kid?

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

reflexl

I still pull out a 20ga from time to time. I have killed a gobbler 35 yards with it. They are had to find but a 28 gauge 870 express with the Rem choke barrel and a "special full" choke seems to pattern better than the 20 I use with a undertaker choke. I use W-W 1oz #6. I patterned it enough last year to the point I wouldn't hesitate on a 40 yard shot. Put 13 killing pellets on the target. The pattern is a little smaller than the 20ga but makes up for it in density. I only got to shoot one bird with it but at 29 yards it dropped him like a bad habit. reflex264