OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

410 ga. Recommendation

Started by VA_Birdhunter, January 05, 2014, 03:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

I'm going to be taking my little boy next year on his first turkey hunt....and kinda considering this year for the youth hunt in VA.  I'm thinking about starting him with a 410 ga.  I don't have alot of experience with a 410 so I'm looking for recommendations for a good 410 to start him out on for turkeys.  Any suggestions and information is greatly appreciated!! 

God Bless

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

owlhoot

I did when my youngest was 6,regretted it. My double you can miss, a pop can width pattern at 20 yards. he blew a bunch of feathers off back of lower neck, bird ran off.
A 20 with a field load 7 1/2 shot would be better i think.  It was the next spring for him .
Recoil a problem , just remember heavy gun kick less, Red dots are great for kids. you can see most dots a long way back on stocks. Soft recoil pads are great too.

redarrow

A .410 in an experienced hand would be OK.I don't think its a good choice for a youth though.I'd go with a 20 .

Deputy 14

Yep, 20 with a load of low brass 7/1/2s. Get them inside 25 and it'll give you enough energy plus a wide enough pattern for a little wiggle room.

FL-Boss

yep... get a 20ga... start out with low brass.  He will have much more room to grow down the road.

VA_Birdhunter

Thank you all for the advice!!  I was actually thanking 20ga at first but talked myself right out of it.  I will start looking for a 20ga.

God Bless

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

jakesdad

Thought about the .410 for my boy.Went with the 20 in the Mossberg mini-bantam.Fits him very well,but a  little on the light side.Equipped with a limbsaver pad and problem solved.Used standard full with 2 3/4 field load of 7 1/2.Wont let him pull the trigger past 20 yds,gun does very well with wide enough pattern to compensate for the shakes inside that distance.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

va wingbone

A 20 with field loads and as mentioned don't let him shoot until he's 20yds or less. I might make some mad but I don't think turkey hunting and .410 should even be mentioned in the same sentence.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

davisd9

Seen the 410 make them reader than a door nail but needs to be done in the right situations and distances.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

catdaddy

As others have said, go with a 20 gauge. I do have one suggestion in contrast some of the replies. Let him practice and pattern the gun with light loads. However, when you are actually turkey hunting, use a #6 turkey load. He will not know the difference in the excitement of the moment.   

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: catdaddy on January 06, 2014, 12:31:17 PM
As others have said, go with a 20 gauge. I do have one suggestion in contrast some of the replies. Let him practice and pattern the gun with light loads. However, when you are actually turkey hunting, use a #6 turkey load. He will not know the difference in the excitement of the moment.

catdaddy thank you for the advice!  I can remember my dad doing this to me....using the light loads then after pulling the trigger in the woods he showed me what he had done....I didn't feel a thing.  Much like today shooting 3 1/2 I never feel it in the woods.

God bless

alloutdoors

I've done that with a couple kids and that was using my 3" 12ga, not a 20ga, and they still didn't notice. If I'd had a 20ga set up for turkey at the time I would have used it though, a lighter weight gun is definitely easier for young kids to hold steady and control.

slamman

I have to agree with most of the others use at least a 20g a if the young man can handle a 12g a let him use that.  I had two youth hunters last year they used my 12ga both got birds and they never even remember shooting.

Kylongspur88

That's what we did with the kid I took last year. Slipped a 3in #6 hevi shot shell in and he didn't notice.

Fla. Cracker

I used a 20ga auto for my granddaughty. Had to use a support so she could hold it up. Son was to put in a 2 3/4 but put in a 3". She never felt it.
Just took an old  camera tripod and put a alum u on top with pipe insulation.
She got a doe at 120 yds with a 6mm in Dec.