Main Menu

A prize in the decoys

Started by Rapscallion Vermilion, January 04, 2014, 09:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tiogabowhunter

Disregard I missed the info on cooking :)  it was on the second page

uarobert

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on January 16, 2014, 11:01:56 PM
J-P 360,  I followed the "Duck Breast with Black Currant Sauce",  page 66.  The only variation I made was to use the full fillet, as opposed to just the breast.  I made the sauce too and it was awesome with the duck.  It's a fantastic cookbook for duck hunters.  Hank is a hunter himself, used to hang out on Duck Hunting Chat in his early days.

Here's a link to Hank Shaw's blog (Hunter Angler Gardener Cook) if anyone is interested.  Tons of recipes there for all sorts of game.  I've made many of his sausage recipes and they've all turned out well.
http://honest-food.net/

Slamman, I hope you get the chance to have a wild duck, of a good species, cooked right. It is one of the finest meats out there. Cooked too much and it gets to yuck real fast.

Glad to see someone else is following Hank's guidance. He has opened my eyes. I did the currant recipe(BlackBerry version) and the bigarade. Sooooooo good. I can't remember if it's in the book, but he has a recipe specifically for canvasback in his blog. Sadly, haven't had a chance to use it. I have to confess that I haven't gotten mine as perfect as you did. I've just been searing my breasts and have been saving the legs to try confit. The breast meat was still amazing with no bad flavor, even in skinned bluebill.

1tiogabowhunter

I can't stop looking at that photo!  Looking forward to duplicating it after tomorrows hunt!