turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How frequently do you clean / polish your barrel

Started by jmc321, March 10, 2011, 11:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmc321

How often do you clean your barrel to ensure it patterns consistently?

shootumindaface

I clean every shot and will not set up a gun that shoots better fouled.. It is one variable I dont want to question..

mossy835

At the end of the day or hunt which ever comes first.

VAHUNTER

while on the bench checking patterns. i clean after every shot. hunting i usually do not clean my barrel until i have hunted in the rain.

i polish my barrel based on how much i shoot. most of the time i polish every other year
Good things come to those who wait

S.C.C

Quote from: moore on March 11, 2011, 07:02:56 AM
why polish your barrel
The slicker and smoother your bore=best performance from your gun,shell and choke combo!!
VAHUNTER.. can add more insite to this.... :icon_thumright:

VAHUNTER

Quote from: S.C.C on March 11, 2011, 07:14:59 AM
Quote from: moore on March 11, 2011, 07:02:56 AM
why polish your barrel
The slicker and smoother your bore=best performance from your gun,shell and choke combo!!
VAHUNTER.. can add more insite to this.... :icon_thumright:
a simple answer is that polishing helps take away friction. the less friction your load encounters as it comes down the barrel the better. you will have less flyers and more uniformed shot. although i have not used a chrono. it just makes sence that with less friction ,less velocity will be lost

3" 870 Shell Shucker

mcgruff1533

I clean/ swab my barrel between shots while pattern testing.      I deep cleaned, and then polished my barrel this Winter so I'm good on both counts for both the Spring and Falls seasons this year.

I'll probably deep clean my Turkey gun this Fall after the season is over.

BigGobbler

Never! Its a Waist of time. I just run a patch through it at end of season. The pattern has never changed since I bought the gun 20 years ago.

Skeeterbait

Polish once every three years.  Clean out with Butches Bore Shine or Shooter's Choice once per year after the season.  Dry snake 4 times after each shell during the season.

shootumindaface

Quote from: BigGobbler on March 11, 2011, 10:34:14 AM
Never! Its a Waist of time. I just run a patch through it at end of season. The pattern has never changed since I bought the gun 20 years ago.
I am curious what factory load hasn't had component changes in the last 20 years?

VAHUNTER

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 11, 2011, 11:12:42 AM
I am curious what factory load hasn't had component changes in the last 20 years?
you beat me to the exact question.

my next question..... have you had a bad pattern for 20years  :-X

BigGobbler

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 11, 2011, 11:42:46 AM

my next question..... have you had a bad pattern for 20years  :-X

No not at all! I have been reloading my own 3 1/2 5&6 combo shot for years Have not missed one yet. Thats all that counts.

Gobble!

I clean the barrel after each shot. Never polished. It is not a waste of time.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: BigGobbler on March 11, 2011, 12:25:49 PM
Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 11, 2011, 11:42:46 AM

my next question..... have you had a bad pattern for 20years  :-X

No not at all! I have been reloading my own 3 1/2 5&6 combo shot for years Have not missed one yet. Thats all that counts.
i guess if it has worked for you this long there is no sence in changing now :icon_thumright: