OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke Constriction Question

Started by tman74, January 01, 2014, 09:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tman74

Been lingering for quite some time and love the site. I'm looking at a Gobblin' Thunder Choke Tube for my Benelli M2 and I noticed 2 size options for the extra full turkey choke's and I'm a little confused...one is .655 and the other .665. Just wondering what would be the better option for my gun? It has a 28" bbl and I'm shooting Win heavy loads #6 (black box) but also has some Rem #5 lead shot kicking around both in 3".

Thanks

reynolds243

655 would prob be where I would start. seems most benellis like a tighter choke with the smaller bore. In all mine they have shot best in the 650-660 range. Internal construction makes a difference as well but still found that range to be the sweet spot

R AJ

The Win lead tends to like the tighter choke like the 655 and smaller shot so if you stick with lead the 6s should be OK. I would imagine that the 665 will do better with the 5s.

The Old White H-13 shell likes tight chokes.

If you go to the new Winchester Longbeard XR load the 665 choke is  my preference for your gun selection.

the Ward

I have a kicks gt .665 for my 3"  vinci 28" barrel.I've tested quite a few lead loads through it and while the patterns were very even it did not put up good numbers in the 10" at 40 yrds.I agree with Reynolds that the sweet spot seems to be .650-.660 in these barrels.It just depends on the ranges that you do the most shooting at and what kind of pattern you are looking for.If you are looking to maximize your pellet count at 40 yrds with lead loads I would start with the .655 in the kicks choke.If most of your shots are in the 25-35 yrd range I would opt for the .660-.665.In this choke I would suggest the ww hv 3" #5 or 6s, the fed turkey thug #5 or 6s,winchester xx 3-2-5s,ww "grey box" 3-1/78-5s or maybe try these new ww longbeard loads.If you go to the pattern board section you can see what other members are shooting for chokes and loads,got a lot of good info on there.The benelli's have a smaller bore so generally they liked to be choked tighter than a standard bore gun like the rem 870 or the overbored guns like the moss835/brwng/win.Good luck !

tman74

Thanks for your help guys. I'm going to give the .655 a whirl and see what happens on paper.

the Ward

I think the .655 will work well for you.The Kicks are a good quality,well made choke.The only beef I have heard about them is that the owner doesn't recommend shooting hevi 13 through them,but supposedly it's ok to shoot nitro ammo co. and win xtended range ,which strikes me as silly as both those shells contain basically the same type of shot as the hevi 13 loads use.Midwayusa usually has the best deals on the kicks chokes I've found.I currently am running a Sumtoy .650 in my vinci and it shoots very well with lead or htl.Let us know how it shoots and post up some pattern pics.And by the way.............. :welcomeOG: