OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester Long Beard

Started by SCDieselDawg, December 30, 2013, 03:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCDieselDawg

Ive seen Sumtoy's test of the #6s, but has anybody tried the 5s or 4s yet? Ive got a couple of Mossbergs that pattern fairly well with the Old Winch XX loads and im wondering if the new Long Beards are gonna be much improvement.

trkehunr93

The Truth About Guns did some testing with 4's, look like the numbers I get with 3.5" Win. HV 5's currently.  I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a box of 4's.  He was also shooting the 3" 1 3/4oz. loads and not the 3.5" 2oz. loads.  Here is the link:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/11/daniel-zimmerman/ammo-review-winchester-long-beard-xr-turkey-loads/

SCDieselDawg

That's interesting! Their 3" 5s were nearly identical to what my 835 does with Winchester standard velocity 3.5" Double X load. The 4s are gonna be the real test. I'm getting 115 with the 3.5" Double Xs.

R AJ

Don't be so enamored with the 40 yard numbers that you forget that at 20 yds and under things get really tight and the probability of a miss becomes greater the closer it gets. However, when you do hit then  it's a good chance of a headless bird. Zip lock bags may be in vogue next spring just to keep blood off the clothing.

SumToy

I have the 4's and 5's just have not had time to test fire them.  I did the 6's so I could compare them to the HV13. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: RAJ on December 30, 2013, 08:25:05 PM
Don't be so enamored with the 40 yard numbers that you forget that at 20 yds and under things get really tight and the probability of a miss becomes greater the closer it gets. However, when you do hit then  it's a good chance of a headless bird. Zip lock bags may be in vogue next spring just to keep blood off the clothing.

I understand what you're saying. I'm just curious if they'll be any better. I've got a box of each on the way to scratch the itch.

owlhoot

Wondering if these loads are going to need their own choke or will work well with what is out there now?

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: owlhoot on December 30, 2013, 09:27:33 PM
Wondering if these loads are going to need their own choke or will work well with what is out there now?

Lord I hope not! That'll be a hard pill to swallow, finally having an affordable shell to compete with HTL that requires its own choke.

R AJ

Quote from: owlhoot on December 30, 2013, 09:27:33 PM

From the report from Sumtoy they do well with his choke and there are certainly enough out there to cover these shells. I expect that a full or extra full will handle 40 yds and in quite well.
I wonder if eye protection will be needed when shooting into the wind. :o ::)

SumToy

Quote from: RAJ on December 30, 2013, 11:06:22 PM

From the report from Sumtoy they do well with his choke and there are certainly enough out there to cover these shells. I expect that a full or extra full will handle 40 yds and in quite well.
I wonder if eye protection will be needed when shooting into the wind. :o ::)

:TooFunny: 
All jokes aside I think it is something to think about.   I am waiting on the ported choke guys to see how this load works. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SCDieselDawg

I'll be running them through a SSX, Kicks, Mad Max, might even throw in the JellyHead for jiggles.

reynolds243

I'm gonna try them in a Rob  Roberts and a jelly head.

Styer

I tried the 3" 6s in my Remington 870 28" w/ jellyhead. 660 and got a little over 200 in 10" at 30 yrds

owlhoot

I was curious about if Sumtoy had built a new choke for the load?
I think that he had different chokes for Fed. flight controls?
Trulock had made a flight control specific choke also.
I have some 3" longbeards 4's and 5's on the way to test also.

SumToy

Quote from: owlhoot on January 01, 2014, 08:58:41 PM
I was curious about if Sumtoy had built a new choke for the load?
I think that he had different chokes for Fed. flight controls?
Trulock had made a flight control specific choke also.
I have some 3" longbeards 4's and 5's on the way to test also.

We have a choke that like this shell.  We was lucky that we had one out the few layouts that liked the choke.  Now I think it will work with the other choke just not as good. Now back to the how dead is dead deal.