Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

remington 20 gauge choke and shot for youth?

Started by jasonedmonds, December 30, 2013, 02:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonedmonds

got my son a Remington 870 20 gauge for spring turkey hunt and needing some insight on choke tubes and shot size

SCDieselDawg

Remington Super Full with Federal Heavy weight #7s
Or
Carlson .575 non ported with Federal heavy weight #6s

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

gophert

Check out the 20 ga section.  There's enough info there to make your head expload!

I run an Indian Creek .562 with handloads, but it shoots anything well.

jasonedmonds

the federal hw are steel only right have bought a Remington xf choke for this gun already and calls for lead only do I need to buy different choke or what are other options

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jasonedmonds on December 30, 2013, 02:10:03 PM
got my son a Remington 870 20 gauge for spring turkey hunt and needing some insight on choke tubes and shot size

Doris and I both shoot those guns and we use the SSX and Hevi-13 with 1.25 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot. Either shell is potent out to and including 40 yards.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

blueridgegobbler

Bought my nephew the same gun put an indian creek choke hevi 13 #7s and a red dot its flat out incredible. Heck when he is in school I carry it. 40 yards is no problem.

jasonedmonds

found a carlsons 575 says ok to use steel shot up to bb size would it work with fed hw 7s

surehuntsalot

Quote from: jasonedmonds on January 02, 2014, 09:48:05 AM
found a carlsons 575 says ok to use steel shot up to bb size would it work with fed hw 7s

a carlson .575 is a great choke for the  hw#7's
does real good in my 20ga.870 youth
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FullChoke

I also have shot the Federal Heavyweight #7s, and have had great results with the Remington Super Full choke tube for Steel shot (if you can still find them). 

Be prepared, you will wind up taking the 20 gauge instead of a 12 gauge once you realize how lethal it really is.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jasonedmonds

Great info boss so what ur saying is will use my sons20g Remington over the mossburg 12 lol!

Hoosier2

I have a 835 that shoots 3.5 hevi13 that should be illegal to hunt with. So I decided to take my 870 youth 20 gauge. I bought a remington turkey super full choke and federal 3" heavyweight 7s. Let me tell u right now. U will take this gun every time. I love shooting this gun. Check on ebay for the choke. They have 3-4 for about 30 bucks.

bigbird

FullChoke

Quote from: jasonedmonds on January 12, 2014, 04:41:00 PM
Great info boss so what ur saying is will use my sons20g Remington over the mossburg 12 lol!
Yes. It will kill a gobbler just as dead as your Mossy out to 40 yards. And on top of that, your fillings will stay in place and your retinas won't be detached.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

Quote from: jasonedmonds on January 12, 2014, 04:41:00 PM

What we are saying is that if you choose the right load and choke, you should easily be able to put 140 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with the 20 ga.  A good 12 ga 3 1/2 combo will put around 300 in a 10" circle at 40.  At the end of the day, both birds will be dead at 40.  The advantage of the 20 ga comes with less recoil and lighter to carry. 

If you really want to get serious, hand load your own 20 ga shells.  That's when the 20 ga loads start out performing the 12 ga loads on paper.