OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pruning Shears/Saw?

Started by turkeybow, March 10, 2011, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeybow

I used to have a good saw but lost it.  I had some decent pruning shears but I always break the plastic handles trying to cut limbs that are to big.  I'm looking for some new ones and I figured there is no better place to find out what is good.  I'm thinking of a pair that doesn't have a plastic handle.  They are perfect to have when trying to set up on a bird and some limbs are in the way.  Anyone have any suggestions for a pair of pruning shears?  Saw?

Thanks
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

runngun

I use the gerber saw and bought a pair of shears from Ace Hardware. They are all metal and work very well. Cost a little more but worth it had em about 5 years. The plastic ones are just cheap.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

turkeybow

Yeah I the gerber saw is what I had but can't seem to find it anymore.  It was a good saw!  I believe it came with a knife and had a velcro pouch.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

bowhunter84

i carry a set of shears that have plastic handles but i havent broken them....yet

alloutdoors

I always carry a pair of shears when hunting, I prefer ones with an anvil style blade.  Should be able to find a decent pair with metal handles at any hardware or garden supply store.

ctwny1

I use Floridan prunning shears and you won't regreat buying these. Made in the USA and will last a life time. Check these out    www.floriantools.com

As for a saw I'm using a Gerber

PANYHunter

I love the gerber saws but i think the shears aren't that great.  I had the ratcheting shears and the ratcheting mechanism broke.  Guess i was cutting something too big but the way I look at it is if it can fit around the branch it should be able to cut it.  I'll have to try out a different brand.

spurman

I have both but now I only carry the gerber saw.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

bad0351

Hooyman 5 foot...and you'll have it for deer season!
Sometimes...all a man has left is his dog.....

hookedspur

Gerber set, saw and pruner,
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

lightsoutcalls

I have a Gerber saw that you can change the blade from a wood cutting blade to a bone saw.  I carry it and a set of Gerber racheting anvil pruners I got last year.  These are heavier duty than the plastic Gerber pruners you find at wally world.  I found them on the internet but can't remember what the store was called.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

ghillie

don't carry a saw but I do carry trimmers...heavy duty, metal...got it at the hardware store...all metal...and SHARP!!!

paboxcall

Quote from: bowhunter84 on March 10, 2011, 10:29:57 PM
i carry a set of shears that have plastic handles but i havent broken them....yet

Best to just go buy a replacement set now.  After saying that, you know yours will break first thing this spring...

:goofball:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

turkeybow

Quote from: ctwny1 on March 11, 2011, 04:55:31 AM
I use Floridan prunning shears and you won't regreat buying these. Made in the USA and will last a life time. Check these out    www.floriantools.com

As for a saw I'm using a Gerber

I think Floridan was the last pair that I broke.  They were red handled though
~ Aldo Leopold

Neill_Prater

Friend of mine has a saw that is only about half the size you normally see. He bought it at an outdoor show or something. Weighs almost nothing, with about a 4 inch blade. Wish I could find one of those, because I do normally carry trimmers, but the decent ones are heavy. Neill