OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which new bow?

Started by va wingbone, December 20, 2013, 12:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

va wingbone

I'm a long time bowhunter and find myself in the market for a new bow. I currently shoot a bowtech tomkat, but its not as fast or as quiet as I'd like.
Any suggestions on a smooth drawing fast bow with a price tag under $500? I'm just not paying more for a bow than my shotgun.
Thanks guys

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

Deputy 14

Best thing you can do is go shoot several different bows in your price range. What may be great for me may feel bad to you. Bowtech carbon knight, Hoyt charger, PSE momentum, Mission ballistic just to name a few main line bows. Or, you could check your shops and buy a used last year pro series bow that would be in your price range.

land cruiser

Find a bow you like, then buy one on Archery Talk. If you want something smooth, look at Mathews solocam models.  I would recommend Helim, but even used it may be a tad above budget for bare bow. 

troutfisher13111

Not super smooth, but I really like my Diamond outlaw. Fast and pretty quiet.

troutfisher13111

Oh, and look at Elite archery. They are supposed to be really smooth. Maybe you can find a used one.

reynolds243

If smooth is the most important the. Look at elite and obsession

Gooserbat

Like someone already said hit the Classifieds on Archerytalk.  I'm shooting a New Breed now and it's the smoothest bow I've ever had, and I've owned close to 30 in the last 15 years.  That said educate yourself and ask plenty of questions and you can get a good if not great deal on something 2012 or newer form there.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

scoot12

Make sure you look at the Hoyt Charger,  I paid $499 for mine and worth every penny,  it is fast smooth and has a very forgiving valley,  a also shot the Hoyt Spyder but for $300 more I couldn't see that much difference.  Scoot

bowmike

used PSE Vendetta is your best bet IMO. you can get a 2011-2012 modle easy for that price range. I have the XS modle and love it. Super compact for sitting in the stand, smoothest drawing dual cam bow. Mine gets right around 300 fps with a 400+ grain hunting arrow.

Not to hard on the eyes either

Combine it with a rage broadhead and you get a deadly weapon

If your price range is 500 I definetly think you should go with a used, or last years pro series modle. I am a PSE Guy but there are plenty of great bows out there.

The bow tech admiral and general are both great and smooth shooting bows. Could probably get one fully loaded on AT for 500 bucks.

strutnva

In your stated price range, I would definitely want you to look at the Hoyt Charger.  Great bow at that price point.

Gut Pile

Bowtech Assassin is a great bow at your price point or below, I love mine and made in USA
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation

KYFrid

Quote from: strutnva on December 23, 2013, 01:39:20 PM
In your stated price range, I would definitely want you to look at the Hoyt Charger.  Great bow at that price point.

This is what I'm going with for next year. Saw a bunch of people saying that it was Hoyt's #1 seller for 2013. Can't beat it for the price!

va wingbone

I like what I'm reading about the Hoyt charger, does anybody know how the draw length is adjusted? Move a screw or change modules?

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

va wingbone

I've been really thinking hard about one of the new bear bows too

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: va wingbone on December 23, 2013, 08:34:59 PM
I like what I'm reading about the Hoyt charger, does anybody know how the draw length is adjusted? Move a screw or change modules?

It has a mod on the top and bottom cam..All together 4 little Allen head screws.Mods usually run $25 if you need to go longer or shorter.

Your better off on a number 2 base cam then a 3.Usually can get a 2-3 fps faster out of the number 2 and the 2 seems a tad smoother....But weather you can get a base 2 cam will depend on your draw length.

Yup I'm a Hoyt man..Chargers are good for the money if your buying new.

Sent from West By God Virginia.