turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who Travels and Hunts by Themselves?

Started by jb177, March 10, 2011, 10:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb177

I've always enjoyed traveling to neighbor states with a friend or my brother turkey hunting.  I prefer to hunt with somebody normally.  I've found as I've grown older, many of my hunting buddies have found other priorities in life.  Not sure what they are thinking, but...

Anyway, I still love to turkey hunt and contemplating making my first solo trip to OK this year.  How many of you guys prefer to travel and hunt alone?

Of course with gas prices stupid high, it'd be nice to have somebody to split that cost with...

turkeybow

I don't travel to other states really as I'm still young and money is more of an issue.  I do hunt a lot by myself and I will gladly do it to hunt.  I like to go with someone just to share the experience and for safety reasons too of course.  Can't hardly find a hunting partner that wants to hunt as much as I do.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

StruttinGobbler3

95% of my turkey hunting is done solo. I don't travel to other states much, though. Living out in the woods like I do, I walk out of my back door in the morning and start hunting. Hard to find anybody around here as hardcore as I am about chasing turkeys though. Every great once in a while one of my coon hunting buddies will go with me, but not often. Would like to have a regular hunting partner, but I enjoy the solitude at times as well.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

ericjames

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on March 10, 2011, 10:16:09 PM
95% of my turkey hunting is done solo. I don't travel to other states much, though. Living out in the woods like I do, I walk out of my back door in the morning and start hunting. Hard to find anybody around here as hardcore as I am about chasing turkeys though. Every great once in a while one of my coon hunting buddies will go with me, but not often. Would like to have a regular hunting partner, but I enjoy the solitude at times as well.

I am the same way

runngun

I am in the same boat this year. Always hunted with a buddy and my father but this year may be solo. And it is a long ride from La to NW Oklahoma (Arnett), 900 mile to be exact, my drive way to his.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

turkeybow

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on March 10, 2011, 10:16:09 PM
Hard to find anybody around here as hardcore as I am about chasing turkeys though.......................Would like to have a regular hunting partner, but I enjoy the solitude at times as well.

:agreed:
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

paintbrush

Been down to Florida, Kansas and Wisconsin by myself on turkey hunts. Got some buddies that always go with to South Dakota turkey hunting. I also go for a 4 or 5 day pheasant hunt in SD. by myself each year. Looks like I will be going to Nebraska this year turkey hunting by myself. My friends just aren't as hardcore into turkey hunting as I am I guess.  I don't mind at all hunting by myself.

30_06

I generally hunt by myself. My circle of "hunting friends" seem really good at making plans, but pretty bad at following thru on them.

TANK

I like to hunt alone while I'm in the woods. I think you can concentrate on your strategy and tactics more. Plus 2 people is easier to bust than 1. I get to travel very little, but when I do I like to "go off" with a small group. It makes the trip alot more fun. When we get to the woods I'm solo if possible.

bowhunter84

Quote from: turkeybow on March 10, 2011, 10:11:31 PM
I don't travel to other states really as I'm still young and money is more of an issue.  I do hunt a lot by myself and I will gladly do it to hunt.  I like to go with someone just to share the experience and for safety reasons too of course.  Can't hardly find a hunting partner that wants to hunt as much as I do.

same here

StruttinGobbler3

QuoteMy circle of "hunting friends" seem really good at making plans, but pretty bad at following thru on them.

Thats the truth. Been more than one morning I've gotten to the woods late waiting on someone who slept through their alarm clock and never showed up, even after swearing up and down the night before they'd be there no matter what. I've gotten to the point now where I tell them the train pulls out thirty minutes before daylight. If you ain't there to catch the ride you can either go back to bed or wait on me to come back and get you after my early morning setup. Don't know of much that aggravates me worse than someone making me late to get to a hunting spot, then whines afterwards that I could have "waited ten more minutes". My reply is usually "well you could have gotten your a$$ up ten minutes earlier like you said you would.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Spring Creek Calls

I've had a couple quality solo trips in recent years. My dream trip was to go to SD to hunt Merriam's, so when I retired 2 years ago I went alone as all my hunting buddies were still working and couldn't do 2 weeks. Killed a beautiful gobbler in the Black Hills and another out in the prairie, on an Indian Reservation.  Also did a solo to SE Ohio and shot a mature tom. As was said earlier, with the price of gas, I don't think I'll do one this year by myself!

:z-paddy-smiley113:
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

surehuntsalot

99% of my hunting is done solo
I have several deer and duck hunting buddies,but none of them care anything about turkeys
they just don;t have a clue
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SR1

90% of my hunting is done alone I just prefer it I do like hunting with friends but most work in the am during the week and I have every am to hunt so thats more the reason I guess. I havent hunted another state in a long time because of money but used to hunt PA by myself often. There again I only live 30 min from the PA line so it isnt a long drive for me.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

hoyt

I always hunt alone and when I go out of state I go by myself. I like to go by my own schedule and come and go as I please.