OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you ever hear a turkey gobble...

Started by Skeeterbait, December 11, 2013, 11:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeterbait

...when one can't possibly be near?  I'm sitting here in the house researching what I want to plant in the garden this spring, its 10:30 at night, and the house is quiet.  A dog barks down the road and for a split second, my instinct takes over, my head snaps up, and my mind identifies it as a gobble.  Then reasoning takes over and I think I'm loosing it.  Do you have yourself so tuned to listen for a gobble that you subconsciously identify sounds as a gobble in unlikely situations?  Or is dementia creeping up on me?  :z-dizzy:   ;D

sugarray

Absolutely!!  I hear them when woodpeckers bang a tree, dogs bark, and even birds sing.  Not so much in the winter, but all spring long.  My heartbeat increases until I talk myself down.

;D

danny

Yeah.  and it gets worse the closer to spring it gets......Danny

jakesdad

Quote from: danny on December 12, 2013, 09:01:58 AM
Yeah.  and it gets worse the closer to spring it gets......Danny

Totally agree!!I live in town and when i'm out in the yard and hear some crows near the park or a train whistle I always find myself looking up and listening for a gobble.Its a sickness and I hope i'm never cured!!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

redarrow

Squirrel's barking sounds like yelping too.  :funnyturkey:

va wingbone

all the time! no what what season, when a crow caws my ears perk waiting for a gobble to follow. not to worry its just one of the symptoms of the affliction  ;D
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

Gobble!

Gooserbat

It is what separates the casual hunters from the infected ones.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

Quote from: Gooserbat on December 12, 2013, 02:54:35 PM

A few of my "infected" friends have various gobbling/yelping ringtones for when they call me.  That really gets me going . . .
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

va wingbone

I never realized it was possible to be a "casual" turkey hunter
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

jblackburn

Quote from: va wingbone on December 12, 2013, 03:33:14 PM

Go to public land in Oklahoma/Kansas on opening weekend!  After that the hunting is pretty good . . .
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jakesdad

Not claiming to be "elite" or better than anybody,but this is why deer hunting has become more of a social sport for me and less of a hunting addiction.Almost anybody can sit somewhere and eventually shoot a deer,or luck into one;happens every year.Dont get me wrong,not bashing deer hunters/hunting,I enjoy it also.It just doesnt have the addiction factor as does turkey hunting.Ever seen a diehard deer hunter standing in his yard talking with his buddies and say "hey listen,was that a deer gruntin' ".Die hard turkey hunters are a sick, certifiable group of individuals :character0029:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

TRKYHTR

Problem is that usually when I think I hear one gobble it usually is a turkey gobble.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Fatbeard

East TN Beard Buster

va wingbone

Quote from: jakesdad on December 12, 2013, 04:38:01 PM

Not claiming to be "elite" or better than anybody,but this is why deer hunting has become more of a social sport for me and less of a hunting addiction.Almost anybody can sit somewhere and eventually shoot a deer,or luck into one;happens every year.Dont get me wrong,not bashing deer hunters/hunting,I enjoy it also.It just doesnt have the addiction factor as does turkey hunting.Ever seen a diehard deer hunter standing in his yard talking with his buddies and say "hey listen,was that a deer gruntin' ".Die hard turkey hunters are a sick, certifiable group of individuals :character0029:
you're right, I may be wrong but I feel the same about the guys who sit in a blind over a chufa field for 7 hours and kill a gobbler that feeds past, and because they yelped 4 hours earlier they " called" him in. No way they have the illness

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk