turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mr. High and Tight

Started by MDbowman, December 01, 2013, 11:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDbowman

A little slow with the post - this was from 11/7.

Went to a spot I had never hunted. Had one buddy along in the am and a different friend in the pm. Had checked out aerials of the piece we were hunting so I had a few spots in mind when we got there. As we were talking it was obvious we both had the same spot in mind as our first choice. It looked like a great funnel area. We flipped a coin, I lost and headed to a nice bedding area. Uneventful morning for me, he saw 2 small bucks, and had to leave. When my second buddy showed up he wanted to head for a spot on the other end of the area so I headed in to the funnel spot. Got in stand at 2, small 8 sneaked through soon after. It had rained pretty hard earlier in the day and the woods were very quiet, plus it was blowing ~20 to cover any possible noise! At a little after 4 I heard a branch break almost downwind of me, then another closer to downwind and farther away. I thought I had been winded and the deer was leaving. My stand was on a small clearing in a thicket. All of a sudden a doe pops into the clearing from the direction of the sounds. She hits the clearing and runs away from me. I immediately grab my bow, hear grunting and a monster busts out on the tail of the doe. I tried to stop him in range but he never stopped until he was 60 yds away and then off he went agan after the doe. I quickly texted my buddy to let him know they might be headed his way. As I am putting my phone away I hear a grunt and a second buck pops out at 28 yds that I immediately knew was a shooter even though he was much smaller than the first. I baa'd as I was reaching for my bow and he stopped. As I was raising my bow and drawing he put his nose to the ground and resumed his quest for the hot doe. I baa'd again and he stopped and gave me a shot at almost 40 yds. In a second I could see my lighted knock just behind his shoulder but on the high side. He was out of sight in 2 bounds but I was confident it was a good shot. The whole thing took around 10 seconds! Got down 40 min later found great blood, saw my arrow 20 yds away and had blood up half of the arrow. 70 yds away I found him.

Nice mass and tines, just a 13 1/2" inside spread. My taxidermist buddy taped him at 126 3/8" gross.

redarrow

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

beagler

Never Misses

captpete

tomstopper

Congrats on a fine looking buck.....

TRKYHTR

Thats a nice Buck. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Wingboneman

owlhoot

derek

That's a dandy.  Congrats again.
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

VA_Birdhunter

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

allaboutshooting

Congratulations. That's a very nice deer.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

MDbowman

Thanks for the kind words. Having a Euro mount done, should be ready soon. Will post up pics when I get it back.

chatterbox

Well done! He is a fine looking animal! :icon_thumright:

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."