OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunt'n from a bicycle ?

Started by Fox Fire, March 10, 2011, 08:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Fire

I've been debate'n on it a while now, usen my bicycle to get around in the turkey woods, it'll take some effort but it'll be easy to sneak around on and  I can cover a lotta distance if needed.

Anyone else?

Timmer

I'm often amazed at the hunters running around on four wheelers.  You'll certainly be quieter than them.  I used to mountain bike in the woods all the time for fun.  I frequently surprised deer, grouse, etc (no turkeys where I lived) that obviously didn't hear me coming.  That being said, riding a bike is a far cry from sneak hunting.  I'd maybe use it to get to the area I wanted to hunt, but I'd get off and take it slow and quiet from there.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

socalturkeyman

Ive also been thinking of doing it but some of these mountains in socal are just to dang big lol.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

hookedspur

where I hunt even a mountain bike needs help, I just hop on shanks mare and go.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TScottW99

I hunt off a mountain bike.  The gated national forest roads are awesome for bike riding.  It will get you 3 or 4 miles down the road from the lazy hunters, lock the bike to a tree and go after some unpressured gobblers. 

Plus it's good for you  :z-guntootsmiley:
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

whiskey

I have deer and turkey hunted from my mountain bike. If you hunt public land that does not allow ATV's then a bike is the best bet. You can load up a trailer with a deer stand and gun or for turkey, just sling the gun over your back and go. Great way to get to a gobbler before he comes off roost.

Garrett Trentham

Used a bike to scout some of the back reaches of the public land I hunt. IMO I miss out on too much that happens around me when I'm riding the bike. Hell, I've rounded a corner on several occations and been face to face with a turkey in full strut. Thus, when I go into hunt mode I prefer to hoof it. But to get to and from a hunting area or to scout, two wheels are the ticket.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Old Gobbler

the bike doubles as a very good game cart tie up the legs to the seat post and handlebars and run the back on the bottom of the pedal and push the hog/deer out of the woods
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

GAbird

Private land I have permission to hunt I'm a foot soldier.  WMAs please believe the shotgun in slung over my back and I'm peddling away on the Trek.  Although the last day of the season last year I bumped a bird riding down hill trying to get some catch a breeze to cool off, just be careful but you can definitely a ton of ground!

hoyt

I used a bikes a lot when I lived in Fl. and hunted public land. Comes in handy riding the woods roads and listening for gobblers. Can cover a lot of ground fast. Makes good game cart too..hardest part is standing the bike up after you get big size game tied down...almost couldn't stand that big sow up. Can't use one where I live now in S. Illinois. Terrian is way to steep with lots of drainages and no rds were I hunt.

birdman24

Now that's great use of bike right there.  I don't have any pictures like those but here's a nice white tipped Merriam from SW Colorado killed while riding the ol' Gary Fisher.  I've actually used it a lot here in UT and in CO.  I don't even bother locking it up it's so old.  It's pretty cool riding out with a gobbler in your vest. 

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mason0366

I have before on Daniel Boone national forest. Now if they catch you on one behind locked gates. You will get a 50 dollar ticket.

handcannon

Now that's pretty cool. Cant say I've every peddled after a bird. I'm too lazy and prefer to use my electric golf cart to move from A to B. Most of the time I usually have someone with me anyhow.

That's really impressive how you guys sling deer and hogs to the bike to get them out. Sure beats dragging them. Just glad everywhere I hunt I can use my cart.

renegade19

Awesome pics.  I haven't huntd from a bike, but would if the situation came up.