turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Missouri or Kansas

Started by jbennett, November 25, 2013, 05:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbennett

We will be returning to Nebraska this coming April and a couple of us are planning to add a few days onto the back of the trip to hunt another state. We can come home through Kansas or Missouri without drastically changing our route. I am from Mississippi and have only hunted out of state once, so I am clueless about both states. I would greatly appreciate any feedback but also understand that turkey hunting info is "top secret". Thanks in advance.

Josh

Gooserbat

Both can be good, and both have plenty of public land.  The hunting can be very different and one has Rios and the other Eastern.  I hunt both and I enjoy going to both.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

nativeks

Kansas had a horrible hatch this year. So if you want to hunt this might be the last good year for a couple. They are actually going to scale back fall hunting next year because the birds were hit so hard.

danny

I live in North Missouri and can tell you there are NO turkeys in Missouri...hunt Kansas....Danny

jblackburn

I grew up in MO and have hunted KS the last several years.  Both have good areas and bad areas. 

Consider this, $190 will get you 2 MO tags and somewhere just under $150 will get you 2 KS tags and a hunting license if you get it by March 31.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Gamblinman

You can hunt all day in KS

You can hunt till May 31 in KS

You can harvest more than one bird your first week in KS

You can do it all for less money in KS

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Neill_Prater

Quote from: nativeks on November 25, 2013, 06:55:29 PM
Kansas had a horrible hatch this year. So if you want to hunt this might be the last good year for a couple. They are actually going to scale back fall hunting next year because the birds were hit so hard.

I think they should have done that years ago. Never made sense to me to have such a liberal fall season when the population was struggling in so many areas.

nativeks

Quote from: Neill_Prater on November 26, 2013, 01:30:08 AM
Quote from: nativeks on November 25, 2013, 06:55:29 PM

I think they should have done that years ago. Never made sense to me to have such a liberal fall season when the population was struggling in so many areas.
Its all about the money not the resource. That is why they added tourism to the Department and Wildlife and Parks. They care nothing about whether the population can sustain the hunting, only that they can promote the hunting and get people to spend money.