turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's the best budget turkey gun

Started by 20ga.turkeyshooter, November 23, 2013, 02:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

Nobody has mentioned the Rem Versa Max yet.

Bret Favre says they are more reliable than Wrangler jeans or some such.

reynolds243

20ga.turkeyshooter

My grandpa has a new versa max and it's a piece of crap

R AJ

Quote from: reynolds243 on November 24, 2013, 11:19:58 PM
Hard to find a versa max for $900

I just know that Cheaper Than Dirt has them for less than $900. Obviously there are others.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: RAJ on November 24, 2013, 10:56:21 PM
Nobody has mentioned the Rem Versa Max yet.

Bret Favre says they are more reliable than Wrangler jeans or some such.
i picked up a versamax at bass pro for $847 -- rock solid gun, I've e run about 100 high velocity duck loads it already and it has a flawless function - like it way more than the other autos I've tried , in causing some twice the price

I have a brand new Sumtoy turkey choke for it , I'm going to wait for a nice day and run some fed #7 3.5 hw in it
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Tommythreetoes

Quote from: SumToy on November 24, 2013, 08:38:27 PM
Pumps
Moss 835/535,   Rem 870,  Benelli Nova

Auto
Rem 1187,  Win SX3,  Stoeger 3500,  Moss 935, Beretta A300

This^^^

I'd put the 870 before the 835 IMO though.  If it were me on the 900 dollar budget, I'd buy an 870, a good choke, polish the barrel, put a fast fire on it, and shur shot stock...that's a turkey killer, and its easy to carry and hunt with.  You'd have some money left to feel good about buying some Hevi 13.   :icon_thumright:

JonR26

:angry9: I have a mossberg 535 turkey thug model and for a little under 550$ it's a pretty darn  good pump shotgun for turkey hunting

tomstopper

I love my 3500, 1187, and 870. All have never let me down....

Punisher

Remington 870 Express 20 ga., running a Sumtoy 562-5 choke, and putting Fed. HW 3" #7s through it.  Easy on the shoulder and a joy to pack.  There is just a special feeling I get from downing an old longbeard from forty yards with a twenty gauge.

RAY

I would think you could pick up a Winchester SX3 or a Browning Gold. These two guns are a pleasure to shoot. If you are open to a pump shotgun then an 835 hands down.

surehuntsalot

automatic would be a stoeger 3500
pump   would be a mossberg 835

in a 20ga
automatic would be a weatherby SA08
pump would be a 870
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

CrustyRusty

the Ward

Hmmm, according to your other posts, you already have a tristar hunter mag,a 3500 stoeger,and a ten gauge h&r single?If I were you I would just spend some money on chokes and ammo,maybe an optic, to dial in one of those guns and keep the rest for gas to go scouting and hunt with. :icon_thumright:

rempumpman

I had a good "chuckle" when I read the title to this post then found out the the "budget" was a grand; things sure have (and are) changing; I shoot nothing but Remingtons and by no means will I say that there is "no other" out there, I just know that my 870(s) will do EVERYTHING that I need it to do in order to kill a turkey; if you have a 1000.00 dollars to spend on a gun, the choices are wide open to anyone with that kind of a budget AND just about ANY gun you can buy with that money will be a dandy for sure; I will just stay with my 870 and use whatever money I can afford to get me to the Turkey woods.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

jblackburn

Get an 870 or 835 with a good choke and use the rest of the money on turkey tags!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.