turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Illinois Gun Deer Season

Started by allaboutshooting, November 21, 2013, 09:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

The 3-day Illinois gun season begins tomorrow. Forecasters say it will pour down rain all day. I plan to be out regardless.

For the past several years, I've hunted from a ground blind in our woods that I built for my father-in-law, who shot his first and only deer there on his 83rd birthday. It was a large 12 point buck and would have been the deer of a lifetime for many hunters. It was for him.

I can sit in that blind and remember all the hunts of years past as I hear the wooods awaken.

Good luck to all the hunters everywhere. Stay safe and enjoy the experience.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

HogBiologist

wow, only 3 days to gun hunt.  I would have serious withdrawls.  I would probably just give up deer hunting all together.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Wingboneman

allaboutshooting

Quote from: HogBiologist on November 21, 2013, 10:37:54 AM
wow, only 3 days to gun hunt.  I would have serious withdrawls.  I would probably just give up deer hunting all together.

We have 2 regular gun seasons. The first one, this weekend is 3 days, then in a couple of weeks we have the second season that is 4 days.

Tags are issued using a lottery (County, Season, Sex) basis. It's one antlered buck only regardless. It can be a complicated system and you also have to lucky not just on the deer but also on the tag. Fortunately, we do have a lot of deer and some big ones as well.

Thanks,
Clark

owlhoot

well good luck, here in missouri it was warm and crazy wind,with a few tornado warnings for good measure.

allaboutshooting

Thank you. Maybe we'll get lucky and the rain will miss us for a few hours but I have may rain gear ready just in case they're right.

Thanks again,
Clark

stone road turkey calls

Clark, with a large population of deer I don't understand why the short season. we have over two months for gun season in georgia. good luck.

Gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

allaboutshooting

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on November 22, 2013, 08:02:45 AM
Clark, with a large population of deer I don't understand why the short season. we have over two months for gun season in georgia. good luck.

Gary

Hey Gary,

I wish I had an answer for you but I don't.

Thanks,
Clark

Tail Feathers

Good luck!

I got my rather modest 8 point a week into our season...which runs 2 months.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

danny

I know what you mean about memories.  My grandfathers and my father have been gone for years but every time I hunt I feel that they are looking over my shoulder.  What a lot of hunting memories....danny

captpete

How about an update....how did the hunt go??

surehuntsalot

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on November 22, 2013, 08:02:45 AM

Gary

here in Mississippi,we have almost 3 months of gun season
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

allaboutshooting

Quote from: captpete on November 24, 2013, 08:17:07 AM
How about an update....how did the hunt go??

I apologize for the delay in my response. It's been a busy time with the holiday and a good bit of travel as well.

I did not take a shot the first season. We still have a lot of vegetation and that kept me from shooting a couple of times. Other deer that I saw were on the run, does with bucks chasing, etc.

My neighbor shot a very nice buck, heavy 8 point and 200 lbs field dressed, right on the edge of my woods. I'd seen that deer on one of my cameras for the past 2 years. He'd been using the scrape line on the south side.

The second season, 4 days, begins on Thursday, so I'll be back out and see what happens.

Thanks,
Clark

MDbowman

Quote from: HogBiologist on November 21, 2013, 10:37:54 AM
Short gun seasons during the peak breeding, and limited tags are reasons why IL and Iowa have reputations for monster bucks!

Our regular gun season is 2 weeks, which is more than long enough!!

renegade19

Hey Clark, have you seen the forecast for 2nd shotgun season?  Looks like it's time to bundle up!