OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

12 GA 870 20'' barrel forcing cone work

Started by greencop01, November 11, 2013, 10:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencop01

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was looking at Robert's and Sumtoy  web sites. I was thinking of lengthening the forcing cone 5'' in my barrel with Sumtoy. I own a new Rem 870 Turkey/Predator with a twenty inch barrel, patterns great at 30 yards,was thinking of doing the work to lighten the recoil. Robert's website talks of lengthening 3'' and Sumtoy's website has a five inch option. I was leaning toward's Sumtoy with the five inch option. Any suggestions out there, or opinions? :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

the Ward

just sent a barrel off to William at Sumtoy for some work including forcing cone lengthening.I'm not sure what length it is going to be yet I just told him what I needed the barrel for and he took it from there.He is a great guy to work with and his customer service is second to none.Give him a call and he will get you set up.I don't have any first hand experience with Rob Roberts but people seem happy with his work also,so I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them.

jblackburn

My buddy, Sam (Gooserbat on here), had the forcing cone on his 870 lengthened.  you might send him a message.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Gobble!

I always heard this had minimal effect on 870s? What choke and shells are you shooting now? I'm willing to bet your better off buying a quality choke and shells than you are lengthening the cone.

greencop01

I use the Rem Turkey/Predator choke .670 and shoot 2 oz 3" heavy shot 6"s. The gun and chke shoots great at 30 yds I heard the forcing cone work reduces recoil is all.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Gobble!

fsu33952

I have had my forcing cone lengthened and barrel ported on an 870 by gobbler guns. I found that it shoots way better with 1- 5/8oz shot. Way better than the 2oz shells.