OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trophy Spike (memories with dad)

Started by HogBiologist, November 05, 2013, 12:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

I would actually like to dedicate this kill to the best father a guy could ever have. My father has been a very important part of my life. I have loved listening to his stories about him and his dad hunting when he was young. He was with me when I shot my first sqyuirrel and woke me up to shoot my first deer. Over the last few years I have made it a point to invite him hunting with me. I have been fortunate enough to call in a turkey for him to kill on one occasion. This morning was no exception. I gave my wife the first chance to go. She declined so I asked my dad. He was obliged to go (seemingly reluctant, but I knew he wanted to go). I have a honey hole on KNF that I regularly see deer at. I was in possession of the .270 that he had bought around the time I was born, and he had the 30-30 that I had shot my first deer with. I was hoping to get him a deer this morning. I took him out to my spot well before daylight. It was kinda funny, I can remember as a kid trying to keep up with him in the woods. This morning I had to walk slowly so he could keep up with me. We made it to the tree and spread out the folding chairs to sit. I don't use a stand on KNF since the ridges are prime for sitting on the ground. As the sun came up we listened to all the squirrels around us. We sat for quite a while until this one little grey squirrel came right up to us and then decided to let the woods know we were there. He barked for about 20 minutes. <>

About 8 AM we heard a shot about 3 ridges over in front of us. I told dad that we knew the deer were moving now. A few minutes later a huge murder of crows began cawing. The sound was deafening. This went on for quite a while. We could barely hear the other shots from neighboring properties. I was watching to my right up the hill, since that is where the deer usually come from. Around 8:45 I was looking right then looked down at my feet. When I looked up in front of me the deer looked up at me too. There it was, about 60 yards in front of me. Our eyes met and the deer bolted. I picked up the .270 to maybe get a running shot. To my surprise, he stopped about 30 yards from where he was standing. He was facing right and his head was behind a tree. I could not tell if his shoulder was behind the tree or not. I leaned to the left and could see his front legs. His shoulder was exposed. I waited to see if dad was going to shoot. No shot, so I put it on the shoulder and squeezed. The remmy barked. I looked at dad, only to see him looking at me with his gun in his lap. He watched the whole thing, but never picked up the 30-30. I stood up and said it was time to track. As usual, I like the bang flop shot and he said the deer was laying right there. He watched the whole thing but never thought about shooting. The first thing I did was give him a big hug and told him how much it meant that he was there. I walked over to the deer to discover that it was a spike. I walked back to dad and told him to stay there with the deer while I took the chairs back to the truck and got the drag. I had to laugh when I was dragging the deer out. The drag is about .25 miles up hill all the way. He told me he would help if I could catch up to him. When I got about 20 yards from the truck he came and helped me drag the deer the rest of the way.

That spike is more than a trophy to me. It will forever be a memory of a day I got to hunt with my dad.

Certified Wildlife Biologist

davisd9

Congratulations!  That is what a hunt is supposed to be about!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tomstopper

Awesome. Nothing better than a father bonding with his children no matter how old they get. Congrats to both you and your dad on a great hunt.

allaboutshooting

That's a great story well told. I appreciate your sharing.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

surehuntsalot

the memories we make is what it's all about
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

owlhoot

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

redarrow

Reminds me of a song Jim Croce use to sing. "Photographs and Memories ". :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

TrackeySauresRex

:icon_thumright: Congrats on a great hunt with Dad.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RutnNStrutn

Spike or not, that is a for sure trophy!! I lost my Dad a year and a half ago, so I know how important that hunt was.

Woodsman4God

Quote from: flintlock on November 07, 2013, 11:59:52 AM
You just can't put a price on that!

Agree totally, No matter what people say a spike ,doe , forkhorn whatever under those conditions is a trophy to be praised.