OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help with a Fall Turkey question...

Started by dan61psu, October 21, 2013, 01:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan61psu

It's no fun living so far from good turkey woods!

allaboutshooting

QuoteMy question:  Is this typical for guys and gals to group up?  Is it typical for them to stay near each other, but not follow as close?  Lastly, am i likely to see this behavior in a month when i get out with a shotgun?  Im trying to decide if i wanna setup at the roost or where they headed.  I am hoping for the latter as its 50x easier to ambush em there than to crawl down the wooded steep hill into the riverbottom where they fly down.

In my experience, it all depends upon the time of year. In Southern Illinois we see small flocks of jakes and jennies with mature hens in the early fall. We will also see some jakes together and occasionally several gobblers together. As the fall progresses, we see very large flocks with mature hens, jakes and jennies.

Currently, we have 2 small flocks working our woods. One has a couple of mature hens with jakes and jennies and the other has only 4 jakes in it. They roost in different parts of the woods, feed in an open field at different times and return to their respective roost sights late in the evening.

I've hunted them both ways that you mention as well as others. If you definitely know where they fly down each morning and you can set up in a good spot. I'd probably choose that option however.

Turkeys can be turkeys and may change their habits in a few weeks or so. It's always important to remember that no matter what, they want to regroup and you can call them back in if you scatter them. To me, that's really the fun part of hunting turkeys in the fall.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

renegade19

I'll throw in a couple pennies worth.  I've had success calling groups of birds in more or less like in the spring except it's been mixed groups or a bunch of jakes being delinquents instead of gobblers.  I've also killed them coming back to roost which is one of my favorite tactics.  The only frustrating part of fall hunting for me is I've found the birds to be pretty nomadic at times.  They seem to be easily patterned but will change when least expected.  The two flocks I've been on in Southern Illinois just vanished on me right before the season opened.  I attribute this to changing food sources but who knows.  Good luck!
PS:  I think fall is an excellent time to listen to birds and to just watch them.  IF you use decoys and get a chance, watch how a flock reacts to the "new" birds in town.  Especially jakes.  Pretty good show and demonstrates just how aggressive turkeys can be. 

allaboutshooting

QuotePS:  I think fall is an excellent time to listen to birds and to just watch them.  IF you use decoys and get a chance, watch how a flock reacts to the "new" birds in town.  Especially jakes.  Pretty good show and demonstrates just how aggressive turkeys can be. 

I could not agree more. I've learned more about turkey behavior in the fall than at any other time.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

dan61psu

Thanks guys!  Would you say its a good idea to start with a flock of decoys (3 or 4) or keep them home if I choose to go for the "ambush them shortly after fly down" tactic?

Similar question if I try to get them right off the roost?
It's no fun living so far from good turkey woods!

renegade19

Decoys never hurt.  I'd use them in a field, not as important in the woods.  My .02 worth. 

Kylongspur88

I have seen the hens and jakes roost together in the fall, but the mature gobblers tend to stay off on their own. It's also this time of year I see roving packs of jacks running all over the woods acting like teenage boys who belong in detention. Can't wait to hit them Saturday.