turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any one shooting a 26" 870 20ga ???

Started by nyhunter, October 21, 2013, 06:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhunter

I have a 26" 870 20ga and have tried several different choke's with 3" H-13 #6,7's and Fed. HW #7's and the best this gun will shoot is low 120's. I have tried these choke's, RSF lead only, original RSF lead hevi, steel approved, tru glo ssx, and Tru lock. If you have a choke and load that is shooting good for you I'd like to know what it is.
Also, does anyone know where i can buy a 21" barrel for this gun? or are they not sold separately.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

SumToy

You can gut that one down and rethread it.  Now If the choke is centered up in that gun it should go 150 with the Feds.  Now may want to clean the barrel to see how it will do.  Don't take this wrong but have you check the POA/POI.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

nyhunter

Yep I have checked poa/poi , I have deep cleaned it and I'm shooting at 3'X3' paper.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: SumToy on October 21, 2013, 09:09:37 AM
You can gut that one down and rethread it.  Now If the choke is centered up in that gun it should go 150 with the Feds.  Now may want to clean the barrel to see how it will do.  Don't take this wrong but have you check the POA/POI.
What choke do u recommend in that 21" barrel shooting the Fed. Hvywt. #7's???

SumToy

Not a thing wrong if cleaned the correct way with the deep clean.  Now I would get some denatured alcohol and run a few patches down barrel.  Then shoot one shell to see.  Out of the chokes you have I would think the TG ssx should do good.   Now from what we have seen and hear the IC and ST chokes have had the bigger numbers.   

We have had good luck with the 562-5.  Most have been the short barrel Rem 870.  The longer barrel 1187 and M2 have been the big number guns. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

gophert

Polish that barrel.  With a 26" barrel, you should be putting up 150+ easily with the SSX .550. 

nyhunter

I polished the barrel then deep cleaned it and shot it with all the chokes and got the results I posted above. I dont get it seem's like everyone else is gettin decent numbers from these chokes and loads.

gophert

Quote from: nyhunter on October 25, 2013, 05:40:59 AM
I polished the barrel then deep cleaned it and shot it with all the chokes and got the results I posted above. I dont get it seem's like everyone else is gettin decent numbers from these chokes and loads.

It may be that the gun just doesn't like that choke.  My gun never would shoot the SSX consistently.  I would get 140, then 120, then 160 all under the same conditions.  I got rid of it.  I finally went with the Indian Creek .555 and got a winner.  I would almost bet you would get your number with that choke.  In fact, it may be pretty tight.  I ended up shooting the IC .562, but I load TSS.  I would almost bet William at Sumtoy could get you to 150 as well. 

outdoors

SOMETIMES WHEN I SHOT MY SHOTGUN I TWITCH AND I DON'T GET A GOOD PATTERN , YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED , BEING A SCATTER GUN AND YOUR SHOTS NOT WHERE IT SHOULD BE , DO YOU SHOT WITH A REST OR NOT ?  It's a thought
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Eric Gregg

You got some good advice from others. I shoot a 28" barrel and have the wad hit the target at 30 yds.
I have gotten well over 150 in a 10" circle. Your gun may not like that particular choke.

surehuntsalot

I have a 21" on my 870 and it will not pattern with a tru-glo SSX at all with anything
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SKFOOTER

Quote from: surehuntsalot on January 14, 2014, 10:59:51 PM
I have a 21" on my 870 and it will not pattern with a tru-glo SSX at all with anything
What choke and load have you found patterns best in your gun?? :OGturkeyhead:

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: surehuntsalot on January 14, 2014, 10:59:51 PM

I got the same results with that choke from a 26" barrel. I switched to .575 Carlson and tried some Fed. HWT 6s. Put up140-150 in the 10".  :z-guntootsmiley:

owlhoot

Sorry no 26"
21" rem RSF 160's in the ten ,40 yards Fed. HWT 7's. Not polished , not deep cleaned, more than likely a bit dirty :-[                      Guess i better try it again cleaned real good, it probably will be better.