OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slug hunting suggestions

Started by Woodsman4God, October 19, 2013, 09:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsman4God

Hi guys

I have a question for those who use shotguns for deer. I have a mossberg 500 smooth bore I am going to be putting in my imp cylinder choke and testing for deer hunting, I have a few ideas as to the slugs I am gonna try but I am looking for some other ideas that you have tried out of a smooth bore. I sold my rifled barrel with intents on getting a savage 220 but I got sick and alot of $$$ in doctor bills later I have to wait til next year for that rifled shotgun. I would prefer a jacketed bullet if possible ( federal fusion ) but it might not work and I wanna hear from you guys who use shotguns alot on other suggestions.

Thanks Leo

shadetree callers

If you plan to shoot the smoothie, then you should use a rifled slug like the Federal vital shok , or Remington slugsters. The jacketed bullets in the sabot rounds will not gain any twist in a smoothbore and will not be stable in flight. Stick to the old school slugs , maybe a Brenneke .

BowBendr

Quote from: shadetree callers on October 19, 2013, 06:29:10 PM
If you plan to shoot the smoothie, then you should use a rifled slug like the Federal vital shok , or Remington slugsters. The jacketed bullets in the sabot rounds will not gain any twist in a smoothbore and will not be stable in flight. Stick to the old school slugs , maybe a Brenneke .

Excellent advice  :icon_thumright:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Woodsman4God on October 19, 2013, 09:49:41 AM
Hi guys

I have a question for those who use shotguns for deer. I have a mossberg 500 smooth bore I am going to be putting in my imp cylinder choke and testing for deer hunting, I have a few ideas as to the slugs I am gonna try but I am looking for some other ideas that you have tried out of a smooth bore. I sold my rifled barrel with intents on getting a savage 220 but I got sick and alot of $$$ in doctor bills later I have to wait til next year for that rifled shotgun. I would prefer a jacketed bullet if possible ( federal fusion ) but it might not work and I wanna hear from you guys who use shotguns alot on other suggestions.

Thanks Leo

Like you I shoot slugs for deer. I have tried all of the slugs that I can find. A few years ago I shot a number of sabots through my Shaw rifled barrel and my SBE. Then I put my regular smooth bore barrel on the gun and tried all of the rifled slugs that were available.

The very best rifled slug that I found was the 2.75" Brenneke K.O. 1 oz. slugs. They do very well with an improved cylinder choke out to 70 yards. When you put a rifled choke, I use a Briley, you can shoot very accurately out to 100+ yards. I can get 3" groups easily.

Most of my shots are at less than 50 yards, some much closer, so I use Truglo Pro-Series open sights on my gun. At one time I used a scope but at 50 yards it's really not necessary and sometimes just gets in the way.

Lastly, I start with a squeaky clean bore and then shoot 1 shell to slightly foul the bore. I can shoot up to 7 shots before shots start to degrade.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Woodsman4God

Quote from: shadetree callers on October 19, 2013, 06:29:10 PM

I was reading the info on midway and it said the fusions were designed for smoothbore so I was hoping they would work but wasnt sure. Thanks for the info everyone.

surehuntsalot

I do alot of shotgun hunting for deer down here in the south
my preferred slugs are the Brenneke KO's in a smooth bore barrel
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Vaturkeyhntr

Savage Model 220 20 gauge shooting Remington Accutip slugs!!!!!!

njdevilsb

I'm very interested in maybe carrying my 20 gauge for deer this year.  The season opens this coming weekend.  I have a smoothe bore 870 with a 28" barrel.  Would my best bet be to get a good rifled choke?  Would I be better off shooting the Brenneke K.O. rifled slug that I've seen mentioned in here through a rifled choke?  What about sabot type slugs?  I'd appreciate any information you guys may have.  I have never fired a slug through a shotgun bigger than a .410 so I'm completely new to this.

stinkpickle

A lot of buddies of mine that shoot smoothbores prefer Federal Tru-balls.  I use them in my Mossy 500 backup slug gun.  They're cheap, too...

allaboutshooting

Quote from: njdevilsb on October 21, 2013, 01:42:31 PM
I'm very interested in maybe carrying my 20 gauge for deer this year.  The season opens this coming weekend.  I have a smoothe bore 870 with a 28" barrel.  Would my best bet be to get a good rifled choke?  Would I be better off shooting the Brenneke K.O. rifled slug that I've seen mentioned in here through a rifled choke?  What about sabot type slugs?  I'd appreciate any information you guys may have.  I have never fired a slug through a shotgun bigger than a .410 so I'm completely new to this.

The 20 gauge Brenneke shells are excellent. My neighbor to the west shoots them though an improved cylinder choke and has had great success. He shoots several deer each year and most drop on the spot.

The Tru-Ball shell is another good one, designed by my friend Jay Menefee for Federal. Both the Brennekes are inexpensive enough that you might want to purchase a box of each and see which works best for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."