turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A day at the range

Started by allaboutshooting, October 18, 2013, 12:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

For the first time in a while, I spent the better part of the day at the range. I'm shooting a new 20 gauge gun with a variety of chokes and 3" Hevi-13 shells with 1.25 oz of #6 shot.

After using a green laser bore sighter to hopefully get on paper, I took the gun to the range. It was a little low and to the left but that was okay, considering what it might have taken to be on target at 40 yards without using the bore sighter.

I had some great patterns, 10" hits in the 140 to 160 range. It was cold today, only in the 40s so those numbers were very impressive but realistic for fall hunting which begins this Saturday.

The shells I shot were some older ones, probably 2008 vintage and tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I'll shoot some newer ones but I was very impressed with the patterns.

Doris and I have been watching a couple of flocks, with the help of our neighbors, for several weeks. There are 2 small flocks with maybe 8 to 10 birds that we'll try to get close to and if we're lucky, shoot a couple.

I love the fall season. It gives an opportunity to see a lot of birds, watch them and hear them and learn more about how they communicate. Fall hunting has made me a better spring hunter.

Good luck to all of you who will be out there chasing them this fall.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

redarrow

Good luck Clark. Went to the farm to hang a stand yesterday and seen a flock of 10-12 .Then on the way home seen 4-5 more.Always carry a fall tag just in case the deer don't cooperate.

the Ward

Lotta good fun spending some time shooting and testing in anticipation of the season opener. It's great to be out in the fall woods with all the beautiful colors.If you get a chance post up some pattern pics she sounds like a real good shooter!Good luck hunting......ward

BowBendr

Good to hear that you're back out on the range.  :icon_thumright:

Good luck with the fall birds.

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like a fun and successful day! Good luck with them fall turks! :newmascot:

tomstopper

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on October 18, 2013, 09:21:31 PM
Sounds like a fun and successful day! Good luck with them fall turks! :newmascot:
:agreed: Glad to hear you are doing well... Good luck this fall.....

allaboutshooting

Thank you all for the kind words and for all the encouragement over the past few months.

It is truly good to be able to get back out to the range and since my doctor released me, to be able to cut grass and do just about anything that I feel up to doing.

I've been patterning several guns as has Doris. We wanted to be ready for the fall turkey season and for the World Championship Still Target shoot. The guns are looking good so far.

The flock our neighbors have been watching are still hanging around, so hopefully we'll be able to get out there and see what happens.

Again, thank you all.

Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."