turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2013 ohio buck

Started by snapper1982, October 16, 2013, 02:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapper1982

it was 10-09 and we had a stupid east/northeast wind and it was forecasted for 10-10 as well. so not having any setups for that wind I decided to set a couple more instead of hunt. walked up a hill to an area that my buddy and I had been talking about putting a set and found 3 scrapes (yes scrapes in early oct) and a couple rubs. found a great tree and made the set. trimmed a lane and hung a camera. all was set. the great part is the tree I hung in seemed to be set perfect for any north wind. all is great.so the next day 10-10 we had that dreaded northeast wind. oh what should I do. I did my usual wash with scent free soap and headed to the new set. pulled in to the farm about 3:30pm. got out and did my stripe tease to the wildlife. then sprayed down with scent killer and suited up in scent blocker.400 yards latter and I was at the tree. I switched the camera card then tied my bow to my pull rope and up I went.it was about 4pm and I had to still work on the seat to the stand. nothing major just had to take a couple screws out and replace nylon straps. took a few minutes. then I pulled up my bow. oh man there is a deer 30 yards away. browsing around. it is a doe.dang in my haste to get set up I forgot to harness up. she is 30 yards. I wait. finally she walks off and I strap in. got everything set perfect and am ready.I watch that doe and a button buck off and on for the next couple hours. a treerat keeps messing with me. coming down the tree behind me and barking (oh how I am gonna get revenge). the woods are wonderful. leaves are falling. birds are fluttering about and chipmunks are scurrying.about 6:30 I hear a slight shuffle over my left shoulder. dang chipmunks. I turn my head and wait; that chipmunk has gotten bigger. head moves. whoa shooter buck at 30 yards! he is already on my southwest side and in my scent cone. boy am I glad I do not listen to everyone who claims scent control does not work!he browses along. stopping in a natural lane at 31 yards. by the time I hook up the release he is moving again. I range another lane, my last at 32 yards. he walks through it and stops with his rearend in it. dang it man. he starts moving again and ismoving to his left instead of away. oh man there is a hole I could get an arrow through if I can get over these limbs and leaves around me. I climb on to my seat and it is perfect( do not do this if you are not harnessed in. actually do not hunt from any stand if you aint)I ranged the opening. 32 yards. he is slowly moving toward it. I am hooked up and ready. he sticks his head into it and stops. I slip the release off and pull the rangefinder and use it to range his neck. yep 32 yards. I hook back up and he takes a few steps. I draw my bow, make sure the bubble is level and place the pin behind his shoulder.I do not remember squeezing it off but the arrow was majestic in flight and hit perfect. there was no mule kick but he tucked and tore out of there. the arrow did not pass through(later found the broadhead lodged on the other side) I watched the arrow back out of him. it was 6:36 pm. I waited until 7 and climbed down. found my arrow covered in blood and blood on the ground. I did not hear him go down and that worried me. I thought the shot was perfect but I started second guessing it.I decided to follow sound advice and backed out. it was getting cool enough to keep him good over night. I waited until morning and came back.walking up the hill toward the stand. I had gone about 60 yards from the truck and I looked back toward the truck and there he was piled up in some honeysuckle within 10 yards of my truck! all total he had went about 150 yards. he had been dead when I walked out the evening before. the shot was good and double lunged him. he was just one those deer that made it past the usual "inside 100 yard" lung shot range.we had seen this deer in years past and our suspicions were confirmed when he was caped out. 4.5 year old. not a giant rack but very cool with triple browels and 14 scorable points and "green grossed" 143 5/8

redarrow

Hognutz

Holy smokes!! He is a stinkin' toad..Congrats on a beautiful buck.. Ooh-Rah, Snapper.. :happy0064:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

RutnNStrutn

Nice buck!!! :icon_thumright: And a good read too!! Thanks for sharing, and congrats!!!

captin_hook

Congrats. That's a stud for sure!

headbanger

He's a pig....love the split brows! Congrats!! :happy0064:

slamman

darn respectable deer triple brow tines too boot.  congrats on a great deer and thanks for the good read.

njdevilsb

Congrats.  He's a cool looking buck, and a stud at that.

M,Yingling

Great One ,,,Like them split brows  :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

shadetree callers

Congrats on a great buck and cool story. Where i hunt here in Ohio, i have been seeing alot of big rubs and scrapes are popping up all over.

flintlock

Way to go on a great buck!
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

troutfisher13111

Rokhal07

Congrats!  Great lookin buck

vaturkey

Great story to go along with an Awesome buck ! Congrats !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

surehuntsalot

beautiful buck.....congrats
it's not the harvest,it's the chase