OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Waxed wood

Started by TRKYHTR, October 11, 2013, 05:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Can anybody tell me why you would wax a whole piece of wood? I bought some Holly over a year ago and decided to cutt a piece. It was waxed completely. After I cutt it I checked it with the moisture meter and it was 22%. Then I started thinking how in the world would the moisture escape with all that wax. I can see waxing part of it or even painting the ends of wood but there has to be some way for the moisture to escape or else it will be just as green when you cutt it as it did when you waxed it.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

M,Yingling

That way who ever the seller is can sell a piece wood that's unckecked No cracks and call it clean ,,,me I would leave the wax on ends till it dries ,,,when ever I get waxed woods I run them thur table saw to get the wax off sides rewax end and toss back on self AND WAIT
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Old Gobbler

The wax will reduce the the moisture transfer from the wood to the atmosphere or vice versa to a minimum -- I go through plenty of ebony and the wax is nessessay to keep it from splitting as the woodbegins to dry , slowly ...-- sa glue , or many types of glue especialy on the ends on larger pieces is a must -- bigger pieces I keep inside the house for a long time , then I slice it up to smaller pieces and wax or glue the ends , by the time I reduce it to call making size its air  dried out correctly , has no wax on it and sits in my rack out in my garage -- I monitor it again for some time -- then from there it goes into my calls ---

Be cautious of sellers who slather up a piece of wood with wax , the wax can often times camouflage checks and splits until you get it home -- I like many others have been burned in this manner before -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon