OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A good morning

Started by alloutdoors, October 11, 2013, 03:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alloutdoors

So far the turkeys have not wanted to cooperate this fall, but it's given me the chance to cover a lot of ground on a WMA that I should really spend more time on anyway. Last weekend while trying to find turkeys I stumbled upon this tiny little wood duck hole that I never knew was there. The entire thing is no more than about 10 yards by 15 yards, but it had about a dozen woodies on it last week. This morning I went in armed with my camera (and my 20ga, just in case a turkey wandered by). I ended up spending the entire morning there and had a blast. I also stopped on my way out and gathered close to 10lbs of hickory nuts which seem to be having a bumper crop this year. So even with the turkeys still in hiding, it was a great morning. Here's a few photos, I'll post more in the photography forum.

Another visitor, I guess he doesn't like ducks...

headbanger

Great pics. I LOVE hunting a woodie hole when an oak is dropping acorns in it. That is a fine shot of the drake with the acorn in his mouth!! Thanks for posting these!

vaturkey

Great Pics ! Hope you find the turkeys !  :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

slamman

those are some great pictures.

owlhoot

really like the picks, thanks for sharing. woodies are so neat.

redarrow

renegade19

Awesome pics.  That is for posting them.

savduck

Ryan, that some beautiful stuff. Bet the black ducks and mallards use that hole later in the season.
Georgia Boy

Devastator

Awesome what kind of camera ya got?

Hognutz

Those pictures look like postcards. You are a talented man with a camera. Thanks for sharing them..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

alloutdoors

Thanks for the comments guys!  :icon_thumright:

Quote from: headbanger on October 11, 2013, 04:55:18 PM
I LOVE hunting a woodie hole when an oak is dropping acorns in it.

Yeah, there was a steady rain of acorns plunking into the water all morning. What was really funny was when one would fall near that log they were sitting on and two or more ducks would dive off and race for it.

Quote from: savduck on October 11, 2013, 09:49:23 PM
Bet the black ducks and mallards use that hole later in the season.

More than likely; I'm going to keep an eye on it through the fall. I'm thinking about keeping this set aside as strictly a photography spot, the WMA doesn't get much waterfowling pressure and the guys that go focus on the larger ponds and swamps so I don't think anyone is too likely to bother it. It's the best setup I've ever found for getting really good duck photos.

Quote from: timb on October 11, 2013, 10:05:04 PM
Awesome what kind of camera ya got?

One of these. It's actually "old" tech by today's standards, but it gets the job done.  :icon_thumright:

turkeykiller22

Alloutdoors, what kind of lens so you shoot with? Awesome pics by the way! Do you have a website?
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

alloutdoors

Quote from: turkeykiller22 on October 12, 2013, 11:40:29 AM
Alloutdoors, what kind of lens so you shoot with? Awesome pics by the way! Do you have a website?

These were all taken with the 400mm f/5.6L

I do have a site, but it hasn't been updated in ages. I do the photography as a side business but two years ago our house got flooded during Irene, I haven't had time between my regular job and rebuilding to do much with the website. We are moving back in soon though, and then hopefully I can get back to it. If you want to take a look, the site is at http://www.shadowhillsphoto.com/.

tomstopper

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!