OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"Sky Scraper" - Bowhunt from the ground

Started by flintlock, October 08, 2013, 08:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlock

As the wind steadily blew into my face I couldn't help but feel tonight was the night!  This thicket was "tight" and everything HAD to be perfect to even try it.   I knocked an arrow and slipped in as quietly as I could.  I figured he was close, so I took 20 minutes to go 20 yards and leaned up against a dead tree amidst the tangles which offered me a good angle on where I figured he might come in from.

Within minutes a doe materialized through the brush at less than 20 yards, I could hear her popping acorns she was so close, then her 2 fawns showed and they browsed around for 20 minutes.  One of the fawns came to within about 8 yards as I hugged that dead tree hoping it didn't see me, and as it passed by I couldn't help but think HOW MUCH I ENJOY hunting the ground where it is UP CLOSE and PERSONAL!!

All was quiet for 15 minutes and then a small buck showed up and began to feed where the does were.  It was interesting watching how often he raised his head to search for danger as compaired to the does (3 times as often).  He was about 16-17 yards, but it was so thick I couldn't have shot if I wanted to. 

The small buck snapped his head up and appeared nervous looking to my hard left.  OPPOSITE of where I figured Mr. Big might come in from, LOL.  I slowly turned and THERE HE WAS!  He was one of the finest looking bucks I have seen in a long time, as he was on FULL alert and his rack looked so TALL.  A mature buck and he was less than 20 yards.  My heart pounded as I tried to look thin and hide!  His beautiful coat shone in the evening light and I couldn't help but just stare at him and appreciate just being out here in God's great outdoors in this moment. 

He moved 5 yards closer and started to angle toward the young buck, which was all the little buck could take and he busted out of there for parts unknown.  In past years I would have tried to draw right then, but age sometimes has its benefits and I held tight to see how it would play out since it was open between him and I except for a few smaller trees which blocked his vitals.

He turned to look behind him from where he came and I quickly came to full draw.  He moved 10 yards around me and I bleated lightly w/my mouth and he stopped right in some brush.  There was a small hole and it was now or never so I concentrated and let fly and the shot was true.   I followed up with another quick shot, two actually just to make sure and thanked God that he didn't suffer long.

Good luck if you are after them and may your tracking job be short!

Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Hognutz

Congrats, Wes. He is a a stinkin' dandy!! Great story, as well. Nicely done, my friend. Nicely done..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

redarrow

Gold Spur

Awesome buck Wess. Thanks for sharing the hunt and pics. I felt like I was right there with you.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

TRKYHTR

Great read. Nice Buck. I love being on the ground on their own turf. Congrats brother.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Gooserbat

Mature buck from the ground with a bow!  That's something to be proud of.  Congrats.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Hawkfarm

Congrats.  Quite an accomplishment.  You've got to be related in some way to Mother Nature.     

vaturkey

Great story to go along with an Awesome buck ! High 5's all around for you Wess ! Well Done !  :happy0064:  :icon_thumright:

vaturkey    :newmascot:
Vaturkey

owlhoot

great story , a nice buck. On the ground real close,awesome.

troutfisher13111

Good job! A bruiser on the ground is an awesome accomplishment

tomstopper

Nice read & congrats on a beautiful animal....

njdevilsb

Sounds like an awesome hunt.  Congrats on a great buck.

flintlock

Thanks for the kind words guys and thank GOD for that buck and the meat that I'll be eating this weekend.  :)

Good luck if you are out and about.
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

econo

Nice buck and a great read. Job well done
May God bless you all