turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

best way to fill hickory end grain?

Started by fletchy, September 12, 2013, 01:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fletchy

I've been turning some hickory this week and its super nice looking wood, but I don't have much experience in finishing wood let alone filling end grain. Can anyone give me a few pointers?? I am not set on any particular finish yet and have not bought any so any help would be great. I did figure out that red oak turns much better than hickory!

misfire

End grain tear out is the result of two factors, 1- tools not sharp enough and 2- the angle you are holding the tool to the wood. There is a bevel on the front edge of your tool. The tool should be almost directly be the same angle as that bevel. Ideally, a tool should "slice" wood, not tear it. If you just hold your tool straight up and down and approach the wood at a 90 degree angle, that is where you will experience the most end grain tear out. If I  explained myself well enough, you may not even need sandpaper. And if you do, you can start at a much higher grit
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Houndstooth Game Calls

Just like Lee said!! One thing I will say about the tools sharper the better! I use Ewt tools there pricey but that carbide cutter is worth it's weight in gold there's some other tools out there that are like Ewt tools with less cost. I think the folks on here will vouch for that type tool because of no sharpening and how the tip last so long!! Keep turning!!

WillowRidgeCalls

Most sanding sealers will fill the end grains, and once you sand it down then you can put your finishes on and get a nice smooth surface.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

fletchy