turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 short barrel.choke/load question

Started by yamaha22243, September 06, 2013, 03:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamaha22243

I purchased a 870 super mag turkey from gander last year..it has a 21 inch barrel, and came with a rem full turkey choke...It patterns horrible with winch sup #4s...30 yards is hit or miss,,which i found out this past spring... Im looking into finding a better choke/load combo...preferably a cheaper load...federal.rem..winch..area and a better choke...ANY IDEAS?  any info is much appretiated....im not very fluient with the whole .655 .665 or whatever sizes better chokes come in..   A HUGE THANKS to any info

Hooksnhorns

I'd try a kicks .655 with a 21" barrel. Try the Win #5, and #6. The ".655" is the exit diamater of the choke, or constriction. Most shorter barrel remys like the tighter constriction. Try the blk box winnies in 3 and/or 3-1/2".
Don't Tread On Me

yamaha22243

thanks...i know i want to get a kicks...either .660 or .655...and yes i think imma stick to winches. and get 5s..I have used 4s for yrs..but i think 5s r a better bet

allaboutshooting

Quote from: yamaha22243 on September 06, 2013, 03:15:06 AM
I purchased a 870 super mag turkey from gander last year..it has a 21 inch barrel, and came with a rem full turkey choke...It patterns horrible with winch sup #4s...30 yards is hit or miss,,which i found out this past spring... Im looking into finding a better choke/load combo...preferably a cheaper load...federal.rem..winch..area and a better choke...ANY IDEAS?  any info is much appretiated....im not very fluient with the whole .655 .665 or whatever sizes better chokes come in..   A HUGE THANKS to any info

I would recommend that before you purchase another choke, you try a load of #6 shot through that choke that you have. You may be surprised at how well it may pattern. You can always purchase another choke if it doesn't do well of course but those #6 pellets should give you a better, more even and dense pattern.

I have one of the flush mounted X-Full Remington turkey chokes that came with a 21" barrelled gun and frankly, it shot very well.

Good luck and please let us know how it works for you.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. You are shooting at big paper, at least 3 feet x 3 feet, from a stable rest, correct?
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

R AJ

Your choke may also depend on your use of 3" or 3.5" shells.
If you are shooting at under 40 yard ranges the #6s as suggested by Clark is a great choice and way more than capable of taking birds.

A 660 or 665 does best for me out of Remington 26" bbls.

There is nothing bad about the lead Winchester loads for 30-40 yards. I have even had good results with the less expensive Kent diamond shot loads but not as consistent as the Winchester shell.

Give us a report on what works for you.

yamaha22243

yes i pattern with a good rest at 48x40 cardboard.. not impressed with my 3" winch #4s...I plan on getting #5s and trying it again with my remington choke...But im sure i want to get a kicks choke as well..either a .660 or .655  maybe i can score one under the classifieds on here and save a few bucks...Im a smaller adult to i have no plans on using 3.5"s.. I recently scored a truglow red dot camo from cabelas bargain cave..160 bucks retail...got her for 50.. Mounted perfect...works great..just awaiting time to get some new shells and have a mini rangeday.. Thanks again for all that posted giving there 2 cents

R AJ

Just remember that when you get into the 655-660 range the 6s normally shine. if you can get 5s to pattern without a blown pattern that is wonderful. Those 5s stomp turkeys at 40 yards  if they are lead or whatever that is heavier.