turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi-Duty Home Defense Loads from Environ-Metal #4 Buckshot

Started by allaboutshooting, September 04, 2013, 05:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

A load of Hevi-Duty #4 Buckshot The small brown objects are environmentally friendly lentils.

Six or so of those frangible pellets crushed with pliers.

I've not been able to shoot any of these loads yet but thought you might enjoy seeing how they look, before and after.

I just crushed a few of the frangible pellets with some pliers to see how much force it took. There's certainly nothing scientific about this hardness testing method but it  certainly demonstrates the frangible nature of the pellets.

It also shows what might happen if those pellets hit a hard object, after a miss, etc. The desire is to have a load with enough energy, knock-down power,  to stop an aggressor but not over penetrate and cause damage to an innocent bystander or member of your family.

They really look good so far. Now I need to spend some time at the range and evaluate for accuracy and penetration in a number of different media.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Tail Feathers

Glad to see you back at it as your healing progresses.  Hope you're out on the range real soon!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tail Feathers on September 04, 2013, 08:34:51 PM
Glad to see you back at it as your healing progresses.  Hope you're out on the range real soon!

Thank you very much. It's a bit better each day. I hope to be back on the range soon as well.

Thanks again,
Clark

Gold Spur

Great information Clark. Glad to hear your doing better.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gold Spur on September 05, 2013, 01:47:00 PM
Great information Clark. Glad to hear your doing better.

Thank you. I'm feeling better each day.

Clark

allaboutshooting

I'm trying to get all the materials needed for the penetration tests with the Hevi-Duty HD loads.

I have a friend who is building some walls, interior and exterior (non-insulated and insulated) using standard drywall with studs on conventional centers.

I may have discarded most or all of my microcrystalline wax, so I'll need to find some of that. The other materials needed, denim, pine boards, etc. are pretty easily had.

When all is set up, I'll be ready to perform the penetration tests. I have a friend and neighbor, a retired police officer, who has volunteered to do the work if I'm not quite up to it, so we'll see how that goes.

At any rate, I hope to have some additional information soon.

Thanks,
Clark

Woodsman4God

Definately want to hear these results, hope your recovery contiues going well.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Woodsman4God on September 08, 2013, 09:52:35 AM
Definately want to hear these results, hope your recovery contiues going well.

Thank you for the good wishes. They are much appreciated. Hopefully, we'll get that evaluation completed soon.

Thanks again,
Clark