OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fall Hen or Jake?

Started by srmturk, August 25, 2013, 03:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srmturk

I've heard two schools of thought as to what to shoot in the Fall.  One guy says he likes to shoot hens to leave the jakes and toms for the Spring.  Another one says...only shoots jakes or toms so as to preserve the hens to re-populate.  My area isn't exactly overrun with turkeys so my gut says leave the hens.  What are your thoughts?   

GobbleNut

In most properly managed, healthy turkey populations, it does not matter.  It is a rare turkey population that cannot handle the harvest of a reasonable number of hens in the fall, and if wildlife managers are doing their job, any turkey population that fits that description should not be hunted in the fall,...or at least should not allow the harvest of hens. 

Having said that, if you do not think you have many turkeys in your area, you can make the choice not to shoot hens in an effort to maximize the reproductive potential of that particular area.  That hen that you choose not to shoot may be the mamma turkey that produces many successful clutches of poults in years to come.  She certainly can't do that if you shoot her when you get the chance.

renegade19

I've killed both in the fall with a clear conscience.  I agree that a healthy population can sustain either. 

owlhoot

Agree with both comments above. It would depend on your area, if your having to make this decision the population may not be good in your area or piece of property you get to hunt.
Hunt the big toms maybe? Will the jakes and hens be that satisfying to get?
We have left some turkeys alone where we hunt . 10-15 gobblers  down to 2 or 3 within earshot in the spring in parts of North Central Missouri the last few years. There was more turkey there before the mdc stocked it in the late 70's. Was better this year though, but still far from good as it was. Populations so low, some pieces of ground have none left and there had been turkeys there for 30 years. One place in north east mo. i had seen 200 or more in the creek bottom on a good friends family farm, now he says your lucky to see 20. He thinks fall season should be closed, i would hate it but i'd have to agree.
Guess Alabama guys got it shut down on them? Hope it isn't too bad where your at. Been seeing lots of poults this year though :icon_thumright:Good luck with your choice.

Fatbeard

We are overrun by hens so we always shoot hens. My kids can shoot what ever is legal. All adults who hunt the property is hen only
East TN Beard Buster

TRKYHTR

Whatever gives you the best and first opportunity where I hunt. But we have a great POP of turkeys. If your turkey POP is down or not doing well I would not take hens.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Fatbeard on August 25, 2013, 11:39:52 PM
We are overrun by hens so we always shoot hens. My kids can shoot what ever is legal. All adults who hunt the property is hen only

same here,very healthy flock of hens,we shoot hens only
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

slamman

I NEVER shoot egg layers here in Arizona, tom's only for me me.  I have never had a problem finding older birds in the spring.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TRKYHTR on August 26, 2013, 04:58:29 PMwe have a great POP of turkeys. If your turkey POP is down or not doing well I would not take hens.
TRKYHTR
:agreed: :icon_thumright:

trkehunr93

With the turkey populations as healthy as they are nowadays it really doesn't matter.  Lovett Williams wrote in T&TH once that it takes two jakes to equal one gobbler when you factor in predation, severe weather conditions, etc. so properly managed hunting regulations really alleviates the effect we have on hen pops.  Plus fall turkey hunting is nowhere as popular as it was 40-50 years ago.  Long and short is kill either sex as as regs allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

bowmike

I pondered this as well, and think that the best way to look at it would be to make your judgement based on what you feel the spring hatch turned out. If you had a cold and wet spring, the chick mortality may have been a lot higher than normal.

J Hook Max

Why would anyone want to shoot a hen ? Mother nature will take it's toll on any overpopulation. She doesn't need any help. Less hens equals less turkeys overall.
The time of the year the hen is shot does not matter. If she is killed in the fall , I can gaurentee she will not raise a brood that spring.

captin_hook

Either one for me. Good population where I'm hunting.

Hook hanger

Quote from: owlhoot on August 25, 2013, 11:05:18 PM
Agree with both comments above. It would depend on your area, if your having to make this decision the population may not be good in your area or piece of property you get to hunt.
Hunt the big toms maybe? Will the jakes and hens be that satisfying to get?
We have left some turkeys alone where we hunt . 10-15 gobblers  down to 2 or 3 within earshot in the spring in parts of North Central Missouri the last few years. There was more turkey there before the mdc stocked it in the late 70's. Was better this year though, but still far from good as it was. Populations so low, some pieces of ground have none left and there had been turkeys there for 30 years. One place in north east mo. i had seen 200 or more in the creek bottom on a good friends family farm, now he says your lucky to see 20. He thinks fall season should be closed, i would hate it but i'd have to agree.
Guess Alabama guys got it shut down on them? Hope it isn't too bad where your at. Been seeing lots of poults this year though :icon_thumright:Good luck with your choice.

In central mo i used to see flocks of 300+ in late fall through winter now those flocks number 50 birds at best. When the flocks were that good you just waited on a group of toms to walk by and shot one. I am with your buddy on this one missouri needs to cut back on the hunting pressure in my opinion in the fall. Also would like to see MO go back to two weeks in the spring with only one bird each week. The hunting back then was 10 fold of what it has been over the last 12 years. Used to around me you heard 20 different gobblers sounding off every morning. Now its down to 2-6 birds every morning on average. So my choice is never shoot hens in fall even if its kids and on my properties no jakes killed in the spring even when taking youths out.

J Hook Max

Alabama has never allowed the killing of hens. As far as having plenty of birds , Mother Nature will change that for you. She doesn't need any help killing off hens.