OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A call maker from every state?

Started by FLGobstopper, March 10, 2011, 08:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLGobstopper

I've heard of hunters trying to travel to every state that has turkeys (or a season) and taking a gobbler. This is something I'll never accomplish in my lifetime but I thought it would be kinda cool if a call collection contained a call from a call maker from each state. Right now I have FL, NY, MS, PA, MI (on the way), Ky, AR, GA, IA, and one or two others I'm forgetting I'm sure.

I'm trying to think of call makers from all the states and I'm beginning to think this little idea might be a lot harder that I imagined. There's a bunch of states I've never heard of any known call makers coming from. Maybe it would be easier to kill a longbeard in each state than trying to get a call, lol.

Can ya'll help me with a list of call makers from some of the other states? Anyone ever heard of any call makers from HI, AZ, NE, MA, TX, WA, OR...

Cut*N*Run

I represent MA- hate me or love me for it!!!

:wav:

slwayne

In his book Longbeards, Callmakers and Memories Earl Mickel documents his quest to take a turkey in every state (except Alaska I think) using a call made by a callmaker from that state.  The book is a little dated so some of the callmakers listed may not be in business anymore but it is a great read and may be a useful resource for you in trying to identify callmakers in some of the more obscure turkey hunting states.  I know it is available on Amazon for around $40.  Good luck.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

3chunter

I got SC, iowa, arkansas, florida, NC, missouri, georgia, alabama, PA, illinois, and maybe 1 other. 

pappy

That is a cool idea, I actually thought about doing a book on young and upcoming Missouri callmakers, as there has been so many written on the Masters of the trade. Or maybe a tri state book, Illinois, Arkansas and Missouri....I think the idea of collecting a call from every state represented by a callmaker from that state would be neat, should have them burn a state on the call somewhere....I can do Missouri for ya.....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

FLGobstopper

Quote from: pappy on March 10, 2011, 10:06:33 AM
I think the idea of collecting a call from every state represented by a callmaker from that state would be neat, should have them burn a state on the call somewhere....I can do Missouri for ya.....

Ok!  :happy0064: I don't have Missouri yet and I need a good tube and heard you make a great one so that would be a starter. Maybe I can give ya a call and we can talk about some other ideas cause I'm a sucker for great sounding pretty calls and could use a long box or maybe a good aluminum call.

bowhunter84

Basser69

I sent you the list in a PM from CCO

gobblerhunter

That is a great idea.  I would be glad to do a Texas call made out of one of our native woods, like mesquite.  Count me in if you need something from Texas.

handcannon

That is a cool idea, I actually thought about doing a book on young and upcoming Missouri callmakers, as there has been so many written on the Masters of the trade. Or maybe a tri state book, Illinois, Arkansas and Missouri....I think the idea of collecting a call from every state represented by a callmaker from that state would be neat, should have them burn a state on the call somewhere....I can do Missouri for ya.....

Bad Idea Pappy. Illinois has already made one bad call. Barack Obama!

The rest of it sounds good though.

handcannon

I thought about making myself a call collection from each state made from the state tree from each state. Put the state quarter into each one for identification. Just an idea.

I might can help you out if your looking to fill a Louisiana call.

mossy835

Quote from: handcannon on March 10, 2011, 06:47:51 PM

Bad Idea Pappy. Illinois has already made one bad call. Barack Obama!

The rest of it sounds good though.
Hum I want to say right on there, so for the Obamanation part Right on! But great Idea for the states that have turkeys and turkey hunting.

selinoid44

I could hook you up with an Indiana call, keep me in mind if you get to my state.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

oneshotcalls

Illinois here.  Have a pot and box if needed.

Tony