turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Letter from Spook Spann

Started by barry, August 15, 2013, 04:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

This was on his facebook page today. No mention of the case against him in Kansas.  ::)
Why don't he just "Man up'' and admit he screwed up?
I really like the part where he says he ''should have hired counsel to review all the laws and advise accordingly" So his defense is that he can't read  ???  What a joke! Crap like this is what ruins our sport!

Hello, this is Spook Spann. I wanted to take a minute to express my extreme gratitude to all of the hunters, fans, sponsors, and industry professionals who have supported my family and I during some difficult times.

As you may have read, I was recently charged with a probation violation, as a result of setting out a turkey decoy for some friends to use during a charity hunt we held, to raise money for medical research, on behalf of a family from my church. This family has two little boys who have a terminal illness (Duchesne Muscular Dystrophy ) . I also sit on the board for the Duchesne Muscular Dystrophy Foundation.

I did not attempt to purchase a hunting tag, I did not carry a weapon, and I did not attempt to harvest any animals. I did wear camo, and I did set out a turkey decoy for the charity hunt previously mentioned. Per the State Statute of Tennessee, putting out the decoy is considered hunting. No one I know (including myself) has ever considered anything outside taking a weapon and trying to harvest an animal the act of hunting. I've learned that hunting is defined differently (and sometimes bizarrely) in every state. I should have hired counsel to review all the laws and advise accordingly. I strongly encourage fellow hunters, TV personalities, and those in the hunting industry to carefully read all the laws in each and every state before hunting. Whatever you do, do not go on the advice of outfitters or fellow hunters.

We made our case in court, with the help of multiple witnesses, who refuted the evidence and testimony presented by the prosecution. We left court feeling confident based on the evidence presented to the court supporting our position, but were surprised later when the judge gave his decision. This is a decision that cannot be appealed.

I respect the judge, and the job he has to do, but I simply do not agree with his decision. I made no attempt to hunt, or to violate any other hunting laws for that matter. I provided multiple witnesses who corroborated these facts. At no time did any hunter hunt over feed, see any feed, or even see turkeys act as if they were looking for feed. Each hunter testified to this, including Alex Rutledge, who is an expert on the behavior of turkeys.

It breaks my heart to think that I've brought any negativity to the industry. Outside of God and family, I've given my whole life to the improvement of wildlife - always giving back far more than I take. It has never been my intention to act as though I am, "above the law", God knows that, and the people in my life have shown me that they know it too. I never would have thought that putting out a decoy without a weapon would constitute the act of hunting. At the end of the day I take full responsibility for my actions as I should have been more aware of the state's definition of hunting.

I am simply overwhelmed by the show of support I've gotten, and I assure you, it has touched my heart, and the hearts of my wife and children. I will work tirelessly to find ways to better our sport, passion and industry as I manage through this.

Thank you all and God bless.

-Spook

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Just like a lot of people do.... He went and played the God card....

ericjames

I don't care nothing for spook, or that awful song. So in no way am I taking up for him, from the very first time I saw the show he drove me nuts as, every 10 seconds it seemed during the show he keep saying "this is where I grew up"  .. But if all he was doing was just putting out a decoy for someone else and truly had no intentions of killing a turkey, I don't think he did anything wrong. But that not for me to decide, I ain't gonna sit here and say I have or have not done anything wrong while hunting.I would imagine all of us has things we a have done that if caught could have got us in a pickle.. 

DirtNap647

BOFF

Barry,

I don't care for the show, nor, am I a Spann leg humper. There may be more to the stories, but if he was charged with breaking his agreement to not hunt, by placing out a decoy without a weapon, then I think he got shafted.

My definition of "hunting" an animal, is to seek out to kill animal. If he didn't have a weapon, then how is he able to do so? Personally, I feel he may have gotten the short end of the stick, straight up his rear, just because he is a celebrity.

As for him ruining our sport, it seems everyone remembers the one or two bad things a person does, rather than all the good they have, or may have done.  I'm curious as to the good things he may have done, be doing, for his community? He may have done nothing good. Just writing, to judge a man for one, or even two actions, may be the wrong judgement.

I would have liked to have been in the jury for both cases to know the facts.

As for his statement on hiring council, I took it as sacasm, in the definition of "hunting".

Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

God Bless,
David B.

cuppednlocked

If you take ANY time to read the actual statute in your state you will see what constitutes "hunting".

In NC it reads something like, "any action to take or attempt to take wild game".  That includes calling, putting out decoys, etc.  I don't think it's really hard to understand.

davisd9

He forgot to mention the bait they hunted over.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

barry

Quote from: BOFF on August 19, 2013, 10:56:36 PM
Barry,

I don't care for the show, nor, am I a Spann leg humper. There may be more to the stories, but if he was charged with breaking his agreement to not hunt, by placing out a decoy without a weapon, then I think he got shafted.
My definition of "hunting" an animal, is to seek out to kill animal. If he didn't have a weapon, then how is he able to do so? Personally, I feel he may have gotten the short end of the stick, straight up his rear, just because he is a celebrity.

David, I was a fan of his because he always put an emphasis on "God, Country & Family" and I "thought" he did it right! He was "guiding" a hunter which I consider as "hunting" as does the Tennessee Dept of Game.

As for him ruining our sport, it seems everyone remembers the one or two bad things a person does, rather than all the good they have, or may have done.  I'm curious as to the good things he may have done, be doing, for his community? He may have done nothing good. Just writing, to judge a man for one, or even two actions, may be the wrong judgement.

I'm sure he has done good things but 2 things he failed to mention is his letter...He was on probation for killing a deer illegally in Kansas and his former cameraman turned him in for baiting turkeys. This is not heresay, it is documented. I'm not judging him as a human being, I'm judging him on his hunting ethics as are others and we as hunters fall in his shadow because he is on TV.

I would have liked to have been in the jury for both cases to know the facts.

Evidently the jury found facts in some of the evidence because he was sentenced to 30 days in jail and barred from hunting for 1 year

As for his statement on hiring council, I took it as sacasm, in the definition of "hunting".
Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

I my opinion I honestly don't think this was sarcasm.

God Bless,
David B.

David, I have great respect for both you and your opinion but this guy is/was looked up to by young hunters all over the country and I just feel he did a great disservice to hunting as a whole by doing what he did.

BOFF

Barry,

He may very well be guilty of it all.

I also understand as one is put in a leadership role, one is to held to be more responsible for his/her actions. I also know, as one is put in a leadership role, the target is automatically drawn on his/her back to fling poo at.

I don't know all the facts, and just feel there may be a lot missing, whether it be to make his character worse or better.

Regardless,

It does put a black eye on our sport.

God Bless,
David B.

Rope

He was on probation,and he broke the law. Period.
He,is no better or worse,than any of us. If we did that do you think they would cut us a break? I think not. A person,in his position has to be legal at all times,where ever they hunt. Just ask Uncle Ted.
Freedom is NOT free

Punisher

Who needs bait to kill a turkey?  I'll tell you who, an AMATEUR!!!!

RemingtonRules

I cannot believe anyone supports this wannabe hunter.  He forgot to mention the pictures of him spreading bait.  I thought he also pleaded guilty?  What case did he make to the judge?  No time for this dud/dude.

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

grayfox

I don't know Spook Span but have seen his show a few times.  I'm not taking up for him nor condemning him.  I don't know the laws where this took place, but I live in Alabama & below is what they define as hunting.  I personally think it is way too broad of a term defining it as it covers way too much in my opinion.  According to the laws of Alabama Spook would have been guilty because of his assisting someone else. (placing a decoy)

HUNTING DEFINED
Hunting includes pursuing, shooting, killing, capturing and trapping wild animals, wild birds, and all lesser acts, such as disturbing, harrying or worrying, or placing, setting, drawing or using any device used to take wild animals, wild birds, whether they result in taking or not, and includes every act of assistance to any person in taking or attempting to take wild animals or wild birds.

blueridgegobbler

So in NC the way as described above if you are tagged out you cannot enter the woods with friends and family an call a bird in for them. This would be considered an action or attempt to take game as it is stated in the regulations digest.