OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kiowa, Pittsburg County, Oklahoma area???? Good?

Started by TheSportsman, August 05, 2013, 08:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Hey guys, a friend of mine just got permission to hunt a 600 acre tract of timber and small fields in Pittsburg County Oklahoma, relatively close to Kiowa.  Whats the hunting like in this area?  Lots of birds? Terrain?  Im not sure what to expect, but we are planning on going.  Only areas Ive hunted west of the MS River is Arkansas and Texas(South and North Panhandle).  Any ideas on this area and any advice would be greatly useful and appreciated.  Not really sure what to expect?

jblackburn

Sorry to say it, but it's pretty hit or miss. Pitt county is part of the nine county's with a shorter, combined one bird limit.

Now, you could have a good pocket, because those do exist in those areas, but that is the Eastern range. Go west 90 miles and you will be covered in Rios.

Good luck!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Yelper

I hunt just east of Blanco and will say the turkey population has gone way down over the past 5 years and also the limit for gobblers has changed. Hopefully you have some birds there on your place. The deer hunting is pretty good!

Yelper

Gooserbat

If there are birds then then hunt it but who knows, that part of the state is in terrible shape when it comes to turkeys.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TheSportsman

Man... kind of discouraging.....   :TrainWreck1:      Now, im wondering if I should spend money on going somewhere else...????? 

Gooserbat

Quote from: TheSportsman on August 06, 2013, 05:53:23 PM
Man... kind of discouraging.....   :TrainWreck1:      Now, im wondering if I should spend money on going somewhere else...?????

I wouldn't give up until I've at least give it a once over, but be prepared for a second plan of action.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

Quote from: Gooserbat on August 07, 2013, 10:27:30 AM
Quote from: TheSportsman on August 06, 2013, 05:53:23 PM

I wouldn't give up until I've at least give it a once over, but be prepared for a second plan of action.

Give it a chance because there could be a good pocket of birds there. I have seen turkeys around Kiowa, so all is not lost.  If you go and it's a gar hole, pack up and head west. There is a lot of public land loaded with Rios in Oklahoma.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.